ShapeBinder issue (0.18 14555)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
flim

ShapeBinder issue (0.18 14555)

Post by flim »

I found sometime the ShapeBinder not align to the sketch. It is my usage issue?
Attachments
ShapeBinder.jpg
ShapeBinder.jpg (37.71 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: ShapeBinder issue (0.18 14555)

Post by chrisb »

The body doesn't follow the placement of the body. I personally don't like that behaviour at all. It used to be like this only for Part containers, but has at some point been changed to mess up the body placement too. For me this is a sad degradation from a practical point of view as wel as from the systematic side. The Ghost feature in Latticepart-o-magic workbench might help, but until now I have tried to use FreeCAD mostly without addon workbenches.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

chrisb wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:24 am The body doesn't follow the placement of the body. I personally don't like that behaviour at all. It used to be like this only for Part containers, but has at some point been changed to mess up the body placement too. For me this is a sad degradation from a practical point of view as wel as from the systematic side.
+1
chrisb wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:24 am The ghost feature in Lattice workbench might help, but until now I have tried to use FreeCAD mostly without addon workbenches.
Ghost is from the Part-o-magic Workbench. :lol:
flim

Post by flim »

So is it a bug?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:27 am Ghost is from the Part-o-magic Workbench. :lol:
Thanks for pointing this out, I have corrected the post.
flim wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:09 amSo is it a bug?
That is not easy to answer. We discussed it in the forum for Part containers. There where technical reasons why it was not implemented as well as systematic. I was convinced - or better: persuaded - that my use cases had to wait for the assembly workbench. I'm not sure why this behaviour was transferred to bodies as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

git commit b5811a42b adds a new property TraceSupport which can be set to true so that the shape binder always follows the support shape.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wmayer wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:02 pm git commit b5811a42b adds a new property TraceSupport which can be set to true so that the shape binder always follows the support shape.
Yippiieeeehh! Thank you very very much.
UR_
Veteran

Post by UR_ »

"To have principles means to do a forest run with a stick across one's mouth."
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:21 am That is not easy to answer. We discussed it in the forum for Part containers. There where technical reasons why it was not implemented as well as systematic.
ickby's reason was that allowing it would raise all kinds of hell once he implemented an assembly workbench. And it made sense: usually in parametric CAD programs, this is called "design in place", and it requires assembly capability which FreeCAD doesn't have yet. On the other hand, all of these CAD programs separate part files from assembly files, while FreeCAD currently only works in single-document mode. And still does not have assembly capabilities.

But since ickby is not actively developing for FreeCAD anymore... Now that wmayer implemented a workaround, I guess that placement conflict (local VS. global coordinate systems) will be something to figure out once an assembly workbench finally makes it in FreeCAD master.