Ticket #3594: DXF Export Units Toggle (Was: DXF Export Features)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: DXF Export Features

Post by sgrogan »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:46 pm That's all I want for now. If I have that part right, I can make a change so files will be marked metric/mm (since that is what is inside FC).

Then we can try to figure out how to output actual inch measurements.
I tested this on SW2012 (My company doesn't like to pay for Updates) In this version at least, the $INSUNITS is ignored even if it exists. It's controlled by an input setting in SW, similar to FreeCAD's import scaling preference.

@rawrpenguinzombies do you know if the software that is being used to import your dxf's has such an option.

As mentioned we can set the scaling at export somehow, but if the importing software respects the $INSUNIT header maybe then it gets messed up?
"fight the good fight"
rawrpenguinzombies

Post by rawrpenguinzombies »

My apologies for the delayed response here, but yes. I know that whatever software they are using on the floor for the jet cutter is respecting whatever units flag is in the DXFs of my coworkers on Catia. We receive prints in both millimeters and inches and standard proceedure is to draft in the native units to the print. They had never encountered this problem until I came on the scene with FreeCAD. I know that the CAD engine is working in metric the whole time, but a proper fix to this would allow the use to toggle both the units flag to be put in the DXF header for either metric and then no scaling, or inches and then have the scaling/conversion done.
rawrpenguinzombies

Post by rawrpenguinzombies »

Bump? :?
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Ticket #3594: DXF Export Units Toggle (Was: DXF Export Features)

Post by Kunda1 »

Bumping forum thread for visibility
ref: issue #3594 - DXF Export Units Toggle
ref: issue #3494 - DXF export (Autodesk DXF 2D type) doesn't add any UNITS field inside the dxf file
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs