ARCH - Working inside of a building

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
elsordo

ARCH - Working inside of a building

Post by elsordo »

How does one work inside of a building using the ARCH workbench.

Attached is a copy of a model that Yorick built for one of the ARCH tutorials.

I was able to hide the roof slab, roof beam array, and the horizontal section plane so I could access the floor slab.

The question is "How do I access the inside wall using the rear view (4)?" I cannot hide the rear wall.

-David

My FC info is

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
yorick-house.FCStd
Example by Yorick with some geometry that has been hidden.
(118.65 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
meme2704
Veteran

Re: ARCH - Working inside of a building

Post by meme2704 »

Salut
You have to use the function "place a sketch on a face: clik on the face and " new sketch: you see that the XY axes are at the foot of the wall, you have to turn by pressing the mouse wheel to place the view slightly Isometric, you can draw on the wall and see what you're doing
Attachments
vue intérieure.PNG
vue intérieure.PNG (28.25 KiB) Viewed 626 times
elsordo

Post by elsordo »

meme2704,

I did some additional experimentation and found that by breaking up the single wall (the four walls in the tutorial joined into one) into its constituent parts allows me to hide a wall and directly get to the window and door objects from inside.

I would use this technique to place interior features such as electrical switches and plugs, smoke detectors on the ceiling, etc.

However, I found that it is best to add wall features (windows, doors, ...) when the walls are not aggregated into a single wall. When I tried to to the "arch remove" on yorick's model, the rendering of the window and door disappeared. So i recreated the yorick model from scratch and added the window and door to the front wall while the walls were decomposed into the constituents. I can now group the walls and ungroup them as necessary.

Is this the accepted way of accomplishing this task?
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

If your need is to place items of technical supplies (switches, plugs etc ..), there is the possibility of placing them outside the walls and to make them change their placement to get them through the walls and see them appear inside.
Otherwise, your solution is good, to make each wall independent, to hide the others, and to place on each the doors, windows, and other objects of arrangement, and in the end, to merge to have a construction "monobloc"