Extending a Face

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Mtrprks

Extending a Face

Post by Mtrprks »

I have a pretty simple object and I want to extend it's length in the Z direction (thicken the face - the highlighted one). The first thing that comes to mind is just selecting the face and using the Sketcher workbench to trace the face I want to extend, padding it, then using a Boolean Add to the rest of the geometry. But, I was wondering if there might be a quicker way to do it, like in a function I am unaware of.
Thanks!
Object with highlighted face to extend
Object with highlighted face to extend
Capture.PNG (33.32 KiB) Viewed 3931 times
Mtrprks

Re: Extending a Face

Post by Mtrprks »

I am learning to work with Ansys at the same time so sometimes I go looking for commands in the one tool that are actually in the geometry creation tools of the other!
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Freecad is a 3d full parametric cad-system. So please design your part's with parametric sketches, pad's, pocket's or extrudes with dimensions and change it if needed.

If it's a imported step or iges file, try to use the trimex-tool from Draft workbench:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Draft_Trimex
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Mtrprks wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:57 pm But, I was wondering if there might be a quicker way to do it, like in a function I am unaware of.
If it's a PartDesign object you can select the face and pad it, no need to draw a sketch. Trimex comes handy if it's a Part workbench object, but it is not parametric.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

The quickest (I think) way:
1. Select the imported object, create PartDesign Body.
-> the body uses the solid as starting point
2. Select the face, Pad. Enter length, OK.
-> done!
3. (optional) set Pad's Refine property to True, to get rid of redundant lines.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
Use Draft Wb, clik the face , use tool "extend , fuse them , refine if you need
Attachments
extend.PNG
extend.PNG (55.22 KiB) Viewed 3897 times
Mtrprks

Post by Mtrprks »

Thanks. Done and done. Worked nicely. Except the only thing is that it placed a grid down and I've dug through the "View" and "Data" tab for each layer of commands/objects as well as the Draft workbenches commands and cannot find where or how to shut this off. It seems like this opton could be sitting out in front of me.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (90.66 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I guess you used the Draft version and not PartDesign. In Draft the grid occurs automatically if you use the default settings. There is an icon to toggle it. In Preferences you can change the settings after having Draft WB loaded. For me it never worked as expected, leaving a grid every now and then, so I switched it completely off.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Mtrprks

Post by Mtrprks »

chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:55 pm I guess you used the Draft version and not PartDesign. In Draft the grid occurs automatically if you use the default settings. There is an icon to toggle it. In Preferences you can change the settings after having Draft WB loaded. For me it never worked as expected, leaving a grid every now and then, so I switched it completely off.
So, weird update to this. I saved the design then reopened the Draft workbench and the grid just went away. It stayed gone after switching back to Part. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

*** I was mistaken, the grid has returned***
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Mtrprks wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:11 pm
So, weird update to this. I saved the design then reopened the Draft workbench and the grid just went away. It stayed gone after switching back to Part. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

*** I was mistaken, the grid has returned***
Try this:

Open draft workbench.
Edit menu -> Preferences -> Draft -> Grid and Snapping -> Grid -> Use grid (unchecked), Always show grid (unchecked) -> apply -> ok