Where is "Transfer?"

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
OldDraftsman

Where is "Transfer?"

Post by OldDraftsman »

Hi, just using part of an old v0.16 project in 0.18. Loaded it in and deleted all but the few of Solids I need to start with. All good.

Clicked a Face in Part design and clicked "New Sketch." Got a message (roughly) about needing a "Body, if Legacy, create a Body and use Transfer in Part Design to move them in."

For the life of me, cannot find a Transfer option anywhere.

In History, I tried to drag them into the newly created Body, but they stayed put above the body and I got different error message when trying to create the Sketch there..

Almost afraid to ask, but, where is Transfer?

Thank you.
p.s.
I fudged the Hash below as I have to copy this off a VNC screen and figured it is not really important for it to be exact.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.14709 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: faad5...8bafe
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Dyslexics of the World Untie.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Where is "Transfer?"

Post by DeepSOIC »

OldDraftsman wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:39 pm For the life of me, cannot find a Transfer option anywhere.
Hm, I don't know... Maybe "Migrate" entry in the menu? Or maybe "Move object to another body" entry in context menu, when you right-click a feature in model tree?

Maybe it was planned, but never implemented.

It should be possible to drag the thing in. Do you mind sharing a file where you can't drag some homeless PartDesign feature into a body?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This message is probably a leftover from an older prerelease of 0.17. It is now the PartDesign Migrate function. For non-PartDesign-Objects you can either select the object and create a body or create an empty body and drag'n drop the object into the body. In both cases it will stay outside of the body and create a BaseFeature inside.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
OldDraftsman

Post by OldDraftsman »

chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:18 pm This message is probably a leftover from an older prerelease of 0.17. It is now the PartDesign Migrate function. For non-PartDesign-Objects you can either select the object and create a body or create an empty body and drag'n drop the object into the body. In both cases it will stay outside of the body and create a BaseFeature inside.
I appreciate irony in it's purest form. I had tried "Migrate," but got an error along the lines of, "it is not part of a valid body."

But, OK, the drag does appear to work functionally just not visibly. Dare I risk a comment. I'll pass. :D

Thank you to you both for the quick follow up.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The docs say already that it is likely to fail. I was hardly successful with it and mentioned it only as a replacement for the "transfer" you asked about. I either use the objects in the way described above, or I reuse the sketches and build the object anew, now much robuster by not referencing faces, edges, or vertices as far as possible.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
OldDraftsman

Post by OldDraftsman »

chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:45 pm and build the object anew, now much robuster by not referencing faces, edges, or vertices as far as possible.
Yup, I have learned that lesson to use Solids wherever practical, but the original project had a quite complicated switch mechanism. I had built it with Solids and around two hours work invested in just it. I deleted all but the switch object so I could create a Cube then Boolean-cut the switch-hole in it.

It was when I decided to use Part Design for putting in a couple of mounting holes that things got wrinkled. I could have gone back and put the holes in with Solids, but they were in a sloping area and aligning them was tricky. Being able to select the face and put a Sketch on the Plane was the easy approach and that's when I found "Transfer." :shock:
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

OldDraftsman wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:46 pm Being able to select the face and put a Sketch on the Plane was the easy approach and that's when I found "Transfer."
Use new-sketch button from Sketcher workbench rather than from PartDesign. It works as it did in 0.16. It might be handy to add this button to Part workbench through toolbar customization.

It's a good idea to stick with Part on old projects, IMO.
OldDraftsman

Post by OldDraftsman »

DeepSOIC wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:57 pm
Use new-sketch button from Sketcher workbench rather than from PartDesign. It works as it did in 0.16.
[/quote]

OK, that's a good idea, but when I tried that, it allowed me to draw the circles for the holes, but there was no option to Pocket. I took the sketch back to Part Design but it gave the same Body-error when trying to Pocket.

I like the idea of the "Body" in Part Design as it isolates parts for later editing so I will bend to it's will for future projects.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

OldDraftsman wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:16 pm [when I tried that, it allowed me to draw the circles for the holes, but there was no option to Pocket. I took the sketch back to Part Design but it gave the same Body-error when trying to Pocket.
For this you stay in Part: make an Extrude+Cut.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Kunda1 wrote: ping
I think I found the text string in the source code where "transfer" is erroneously used instead of "migrate".

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... ls.cpp#L91

I haven't found other occurrences.

Do you think you could fix it in your next typo hunt?

Thanks!

P.S. The search field in GitHub is really awesome.