My Project: Quad Headlights - Product Design.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TURK

Re: My Project: Quad Headlights - Product Design.

Postby TURK » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:52 am

oldmachine wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:22 am
There are many ways to accomplish a Modeling goal.

I prefer using PartDesign workbench 95% of the time.

To the show-n-tell of my post: I created the footprint and extruded a solid. Then, drafted the sides, cut the top off part of it to get the lower elevation section, added radius’… Then, made a quick drawing in TechDraw workbench.
The entire thing took 12 minutes.
Thanks for the tips oldmachine, very much appreciated. I was wondering how you got the two different levels!
If I were trying to get a truly similar shape, I would have spent time needed and perhaps would have used the ‘Variable Radius’ tool on ‘Part’ workbench, then gone back to ‘PartDesign’. So, ‘yes’ I threw it together.
Ah, yes, the 'Variable radius tool' ............ I saw that demonstrated on a YouTube video where a guy designed a bathroom sink. Once I get past the basics I think I'll be using that technique to model the headlight covers, just to increase the radii on the edges of the covers.
Molds - a useful approach is the create a Body of a mold base and a Body of the gizmo to be molded. Overlap them (i.e., embed the gizmo in the base) and do a boolean operation to get a mold (cavity). Scale it to accommodate for shrink…
Good idea ;) I'm also hoping that I can make a section cut-out straight down the centre line of the solid model, that should help me see if I have any negative draft angles.

This stuff is really fascinating! I'm hooked :mrgreen:

TURK
bejant

Postby bejant » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:21 pm

TURK wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:17 pm
Would the mirrored object just be a reflected image of the original part,
Yes.

TURK wrote:
or can I still edit it
No, you would edit the original from which the Mirror was created.

TURK wrote:
or put dimensions on it?
Yes, as in the Tech Draw WB?

TURK wrote:
The idea of scaling the value down to -1, as that to make sure the parts are touching?
No, that's when using a Clone. The Scale values of a Clone are 1 by default, which means that the Clone is an exact copy of the original. You have to change one of those values from 1 to -1 in order to make the Clone become a mirror of the original.
TURK

Postby TURK » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Bejant, I was afraid of that, and suspected as much as it's name truly defines what it does 'Mirroring'! I haven't got as far as that to test my theory.

As I'm trying to plan ahead as to which will be the best method, I'm beginning to think that' it's probably best to make two different files. As in the images that 'Oldmachine' made on the previous page, there's no way I would be able to create tool paths to send to a CNC machine, for machining those parts if they're in the same document.

D'you know if I can flip a sketch and move it to a different document? As an example .................. if I make a sketch with all the necessary dimensions for the holes that need profiling for the OffSide headlight, then copy that sketch to another document, then flip the sketch. That would give me the correct dimensions but in reverse, for the NearSide headlight. Does that sound plausible?

Or would the best practice be to redraw the entire sketch?

TURK
oldmachine

Postby oldmachine » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:21 pm

Click the sketch, Edit>Copy (or duplicate). (I don't keep the ref's when prompted)
Paste the sketch into another Body.
Then, open the Sketch workbench and use the sketch mirror tool to flip it. If tool not present, learn how to add the tool/icon to the toolbar.

FYI - I do things my way: I think of a New File as a host file for a Part, and a Part as a host for Bodies. And. Bodies as individual parts (gizmos). Each gizmo (body) has all the extrudes/cuts/lofts/etc.. that make up the gizmo.

That enables me to use the Part as an Assembly of Gizmos (bodies/parts).

EDIT: I'm attaching screenshots
After pasting into new file, drag the sketch into the body. Open/edit it and use the sketch mirror tool. I deleted the 'sketch' afterwards to eliminate the original opposite...
MAC OSX Sierra
3D Parts & Links (made using FreeCad and Solidworks): https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
Android App & Links: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .bestknots
oldmachine

Postby oldmachine » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:21 pm

I didn't mention:

The sketch mirror tool operates on a Closed sketch, not on a Open sketch. Select the desired sketch to mirror and click the mirror tool.

Of course, you'll want to turn on the sketch visibility = true, or you won't see the closed sketch.
MAC OSX Sierra
3D Parts & Links (made using FreeCad and Solidworks): https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
TURK

Postby TURK » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:33 pm

That's excellent Oldmachine ;) very helpful indeed ................... I'll give that a try this evening.
We all have our own methods of learning for accomplishing various tasks, mine are visual, that's why I have 2 PC's running side-by-side. As I've downloaded the YouTube videos ( Bram De Vries I found to be very helpful ) I simply playback his tutorials and go through the motions on my other computer, when I don't understand something I simply replay that part.

As a total newbie to FreeCAD I think it helps to understand how the program works, many times in the tutorials I've found that some important steps are not explained or even just glossed-over. It's assumed we already know the action taken to get to a certain point. Tutorials are usually written or recorded by people in the know, experts in their field. Once I get passed the basics and I begin to upload tutorial videos of my own, I'll try to explain things as a newbie's point of view. A Dummies guide if you like.

From what I've read so far, and seen, FreeCAD is perfectly capable of accomplishing any task. You just need to workout the 'trick'!

Last night I got stuck on the 'Sketcher WorkBench'. Constraints are a new thing to me, but I like the idea as you can give precise dimensions to objects to hundreth's of a millimetre. Which is what I really need for the sort of work I'm doing. I hadn't realised that the position of your actual sketch is also a constraint! I've since then found an excellent PDF document posted by Chrisb ( Bejant also gets a mention ;) ) so I feel it's only fair to share that link again for other newbies who may of missed that particular post https://owncloud.gwdg.de/index.php/s/HS ... #pdfviewer it's written for version 0.18 which is great as that's what I'm using all the time now, and should other newbies I believe.

So, that's my work for this evening, and I'll use that 'Sketcher' tutorial on the method you suggested above.

Many thanks guys for all your help and patience ;)

TURK
TURK

Postby TURK » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:36 pm

oldmachine wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:21 pm
I didn't mention:

The sketch mirror tool operates on a Closed sketch, not on a Open sketch. Select the desired sketch to mirror and click the mirror tool.

Of course, you'll want to turn on the sketch visibility = true, or you won't see the closed sketch.

Thanks Oldmachine.

Are all these operations possible with the default FreeCAD v0.18, or would I need to download and install any extra tools/workbenches addons ?

TURK
oldmachine

Postby oldmachine » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm using v17. No additional add-on's except the Fastener workbench.
The Sketch Mirror is not in default toolbar on v17. Don't know about v18...
MAC OSX Sierra
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:30 pm

If you use Part->Mirror you get an object for which you can create CNC paths separately; To mirror a complete PartDesign object take the Body as source of the mirror.
When you create the Path Job select the mirror as BaseObject.
TURK

Postby TURK » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:10 pm

Thanks for the information Chris, I'll look into that as well mate.

TURK