TechDraw Detail View hangs

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mkey

TechDraw Detail View hangs

Postby mkey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:01 am

Hello all.

My freecad info:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: Croatian/Croatia (hr_HR)

My PC info:

C2Q 9400
8GB DDR2 RAM
R7 265 2GB RAM
SSD drive

The problem:

TechDraw workbench is stalling.

1) When adding new views to the drawing (Insert multiple Views of a single part in the active drawing) SOMETIMES FreeCAD hangs for 30+ seconds, after the hang it recovers and continues working as usual. When working normally, adding the view takes just a split second.

2) When adding a new detail to the drawing (Insert a new detail view of a part in the active drawing) FreeCAD ALWAYS hangs, usually for well over 30 seconds, a few times over a minute. I timed one attempt at 70+ seconds. It also hangs when I try to change the anchor point for a detail. You don't even have to change the anchor point value of X/Y/Z or the Radius, if you click the field and then try to click away it will start applying the "change" and hang for a while.

3) When starting FreeCAD from fresh and opening said file containing the TechDrawing, the program hangs for a solid while, usually well over a minute. In the report view I get:

Code: Select all

Rebuilding Views for: Page/Page
DVP::extractFaces - input is not planar graph. No face detection
Startup time for FreeCAD on my PC is about 4-5 seconds. When opening files without drawings in them, they load in a split second. If I delete the detail from the drawing and save the file, again it loads almost instantly.

I have monitored the processor usage during these hangs and one core is maxed, FreeCAD.exe shows 25% CPU usage and about 200MB RAM usage.

Some other strange things that have occurred: by default the TechDraw preferences for font size were set to 0.2mm and the arrow size was set to 16um (that's micro). Also, the installer seems to hang a while on the Visual Studio library installation, which is optional but I choose to do it anyway. It took a few minutes to install and it completed successfully, however on a previous install I think I ended up killing the installer because it hanged for a good while.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bug tracker https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=3639
Attachments
pipe.FCStd
the file in question
(68.93 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by mkey on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb

Re: TechDraw Detail View hangs

Postby chrisb » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:46 am

Can you please retest with current 0.18 available from here.
mkey

Postby mkey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Indeed I can. dev or conda?
mkey

Postby mkey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:45 pm

I downloaded conda and still the same behavior.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Some remarks on your model:
- In 0.18 you can see that you have an error in one of your Sketches: Sketch contains two redundant constraints.
- The size of the nut in Sketch002 is rather uncommon, I would expect to define the width across flats.
- You can model the hole through the nut in Sketch003, in order to have the tube not closed.
- The dependency graph shows that you reference a feature from inside of a body. Usually you should not do this and dependencies are shown in red. Here they are shown in black, but I am not sure about this being a bad idea anyway. You should reference the body instead. Perhaps this would speed things up as well.

I rebuilt the Drawing and every thing went extremely fast - until I inserted a detail view.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.14957 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 22513600d)
Hash: 22513600ddc11a8d0d392f67225d443b7dc2e5bb
Python version: 2.7.15
Qt version: 5.11.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
mkey

Postby mkey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:31 pm

- I get these messages. The first one is probably related to the assembly2 workbench mod I have installed for 0.17 which I'm assuming is not compatible with 0.18

Code: Select all

During initialization the error No module named 'core' occurred in C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\assembly2\InitGui.py
Please look into the log file for further information
Rebuilding Views for: Page/Page
DVP::extractFaces - Detail -Can't make faces from projected edges
DVP::extractFaces - Detail001 -Can't make faces from projected edges
- I'm just dabbling with this, it doesn't really have to be all that accurate, most of the dimensions are estimates. I just wanted to create a quick model of my kitchen sink.

- I could not do that. When I tried padding a hexagon with a hole in the middle it stated that I'd be creating two parts which was not supported. The Pocket tool prevented me from going through with the same claim. I tried going "through all" on 0.18 just now and FC hanged. After recovering it just gave a message box stating "Error!". After deleting the detail views, it doesn't hang anymore, but still doesn't go through. I edited sketch003 by adding a circle, but it will not pad with same "Error!" message. I'll try recreating this pipe and see what's what.

-- an aside: I was also getting a number of other various strange messages. For example, I couldn't (at times) extrude a pipe from two concentric circles with the same message about multiple parts. Also, the dimension tool refused to work at random times. For example, I wanted to define the width of a simple rectangle in the sketcher and I was getting a datum error. After moving the rectangle around a bit, I could dimension the rectangle without any problems. I probably ought make a new more in detail post about these occurrences.

- I'll do so in the future. It would obviously also make sense to name things properly and whatnot, but like I said this was just a "quickie"

Should I continue using 0.18 or is it maybe too cutting edge?
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:46 pm

mkey wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:31 pm
Should I continue using 0.18 or is it maybe too cutting edge?
You should definitely use 0.18 - it is very stable, many issues from 0.17 have been fixed, and if you encounter problems the don't have to be validated in the development version.

I attach the model with the hole in the nut. I removed the Drawing for keeping size down.
Attachments
pipe_cb.FCStd
(43.56 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mkey

Postby mkey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:21 pm

OK, I think I figured out why it didn't want to pad the way I wanted it to. The sketch was referencing a surface which had a smaller (or equal) diameter than what I wanted to cut. Makes sense.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:24 pm

mkey wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:21 pm
OK, I think I figured out why it didn't want to pad the way I wanted it to. The sketch was referencing a surface which had a smaller (or equal) diameter than what I wanted to cut. Makes sense.
I see, you wanted a nut sliding on the tube, right? That is currently not possible within a single body, and it is ok the way it is: The nut would have been a single solid in a separate body.
mkey

Postby mkey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:51 pm

It's OK the way it is, makes sense that these bodies need to be touching each other, I'd just wish the messages were a bit more descriptive :D
Quicker one pushes forward, more of these situations will be encountered.

OT: Could you point me in the direction of how to make make a simple threaded connection? I've seen methods for doing it manually, but I was thinking there's a tool for it.