0001304: Allow Sketcher to Fillet Arcs, Not Only Lines

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Joel_graff
Veteran

Re: 0001304: Allow Sketcher to Fillet Arcs, Not Only Lines

Post by Joel_graff »

chrisb wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:56 am Well, at the left an arc could be inserted with a radius between those of the adjacent arcs, but at the right a "fillet" would have to be a straight line? So I just called these "pathological".
In the case at left, there's a such thing as three center curves in transportation engineering, so it's a reasonable use case there.

At right, a tangent section is the most reasonable solution. Otherwise, you have to choose which way the fillet faces...
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Joel_graff wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:11 am In the case at left, there's a such thing as three center curves in transportation engineering, so it's a reasonable use case there.
Good to see that mentioning these was not only academic.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kkamins5

Post by kkamins5 »

This is incredible and makes things much easier. Stupid question but... how do I implement this?
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

NormandC wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:07 am There is one condition where it fails, and that is between a line and an arc perpendicular to it.

The line and arc were made with the polyline tool.
Right thru the heart ;)

Congrats, in a single two clicks you managed to unveil a case I did not consider and find a pre-existing bug.

I will be pushing a PR today to fix this.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:47 pm Observations:
- test of pathological tangent circlesarcs -> Error message in report view
- test of pathological tangent circlearc/line -> Error message in report view

- Arc and line towards the inside works if arc is selected first, although the points selected are not the endpoints of the fillet
- Arc and line towards the inside does not work, if line is selected first.
- Arc and line toward the outside works as expected.

Edits in blue.
I am not understanding how exactly to reproduce these. Could you elaborate a little bit more?
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

kkamins5 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:41 pm This is incredible and makes things much easier. Stupid question but... how do I implement this?
You need a very recent version of FreeCAD, for example the one of the PPA if you are Ubuntu.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

NormandC wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:07 am There is one condition where it fails, and that is between a line and an arc perpendicular to it.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1765
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

abdullah wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:33 pm
There is another PR for the trimming issues:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1759

When that gets merged, I would appreciate some attention to Fillets and Trimming testing.
This has been merged and is available from the PPA. I would appreciate some tests:
TrimImprovements.gif
TrimImprovements.gif (46.19 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

abdullah wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:08 pm I am not understanding how exactly to reproduce these. Could you elaborate a little bit more?
Sorry for being slow, I will provide a test file tomorrow.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Here is the test file. My previous observation lead me to partly wrong conclusions, these should be more precise. Each Sketch contains two lines which I tried to fillet at their joint. I observe the following behaviour

Sketch: Error message in report view, which is ok. other possible behaviour: arc to a side depending on which click is nearer to the joint.

Sketch001: instead of an arc a circle is created and the existing arc turns to a circle as well.

Sketch002: the construction lines serve the only purpose to indicate where above them you have to click to show the described behaviour. Filleting at the position of the right construction line works, at the left line I get an error.
Attachments
arcFillet.FCStd
(5.87 KiB) Downloaded 32 times