Warning when Dependency graph is going wonky?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
OldDraftsman

Warning when Dependency graph is going wonky?

Post by OldDraftsman »

Is there any way I can be alerted that something wonky is going on with the Dependency graph? I thought with 0.18, we were finally done with weirdness after making changes, but ... :o

I have a Part with Body and a single-Sketch+Pad. I had then done a few Additive and Subtractive items gone back to the Sketch to add a single fillet to a corner. All looked good so I continued with Additive/Subtractive stuff. After about an hour it was looking great, but then began to do weird stuff like Additive things not staying put etc.

I checked the Dependency graph and it looked like a road map of London (https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Maps/Ma ... ed_Kingdom) for this Body. It would have helped had the first (or early) deviation from a straight (correct) Dependency graph had popped up a message, to wit,
"Dope, you are screwing this entire thing up, Come check the graph and then fix it before wasting any more time here."
Any chance of this? Soon?

Thanks.
Dyslexics of the World Untie.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Warning when Dependency graph is going wonky?

Post by Kunda1 »

This is a good idea and it's been discussed somewhere on the forums before (several times). Someone was proposing a sidebar dialog that would auto-generate a graph as one was building their model.

Edit:
Relevant thread? Easter egg of PartDesign Next: DAG View: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15375
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

OldDraftsman wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:47 pm straight (correct) Dependency graph
In 0.17, 0.18, the graph doesn't have to be straight. Moreover, for a robust model history, it should NOT BE straight. Show us your graph, so that we can tell if it's correct or not. A correct graph should have no red arrows (red arrows indicate inappropriate cross-container links, and dependency loops).
OldDraftsman

Post by OldDraftsman »

DeepSOIC wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:07 pm Show us your graph, so that we can tell if it's correct or not. A correct graph should have no red arrows (red arrows indicate inappropriate cross-container links, and dependency loops).
OK, you are poking fun at me -- right? Umm, wouldn't the existence of the red-arrow be a trigger for that message that I am screwing things up? I am from the Human Interface department, remember.

I can't show the graph as I deleted the two offending Body as I had to start them both from scratch, about two hours work. I knew it was NOT correct without any outside help when things started doing weird stuff.

I could position an Additive Cylinder and it all looked good until I clicked "Close." Then the Cylinder would go and sit on top of another previously entered Additive Cylinder that had totally different coordinates. That's when I checked the dependency and saw that not only was this Body screwed, so was another one I had added a Fillet to. Hell of a time to find out there were red arrows.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

How about DAG view? To be enabled in Tools->Parameters->Preferences->DAGView and then make the panel visible. There is a topic about it: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=11276 but no wiki doc.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
OldDraftsman

Post by OldDraftsman »

chrisb wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:55 pm How about DAG view? To be enabled in Tools->Parameters->Preferences->DAGView and then make the panel visible. There is a topic about it:
Anything would be good, to prevent people from wandering blindly on.

Just checked and I had actually saved and earlier version, I increment save-names. :) Here's a part of the graph and you can see that all are neat and tidy except two of London that had been Filleted!
graph-01.jpg
graph-01.jpg (50.78 KiB) Viewed 537 times
Both of those are the result of a Fillet addition as I wanted to see by how much I could clear a nut. I tried rolling it back by removing the Fillets to what it was this morning, but, once London, always London. And, no red-arrows I notice.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

OldDraftsman wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:11 pm and you can see that all are neat and tidy except two of London that had been Filleted!
I can only see the speckles of shitty JPEG compression. Please use PNG next time. BTW, you can save dependency graph as PNG image, by choosing File->Save As while the graph is on your screen.

Trying to look through the speckles, I can't seem to find neither "London" (whatever you mean by it, I don't understand), nor any fillets. Nor any trouble with the graph.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:54 pm This is a good idea and it's been discussed somewhere on the forums before (several times). Someone was proposing a sidebar dialog that would auto-generate a graph as one was building their model.

Edit:
Relevant thread? Easter egg of PartDesign Next: DAG View: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15375
chrisb wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:55 pm How about DAG view? To be enabled in Tools->Parameters->Preferences->DAGView and then make the panel visible. There is a topic about it: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=11276 but no wiki doc.
An aside:
@chrisb We were thinking of the same thing and you found the correct thread that I was looking for, nice! As for there being no wiki doc...I've created DAGview with relevant links and linked as an UnfinishedDocu so that as we tackle the large list of undocumented features we can eventually get to creating the documentation for this specific feature (theoretically :lol:)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I can (just barely) see well-enough though the speckles, and I don't see any problems either.

Gene
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

DeepSOIC wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:52 pm Trying to look through the speckles, I can't seem to find neither "London" (whatever you mean by it, I don't understand)
Imagine your doodle map of Moscow, but after a wreck (bent rim and twisted spokes)...