Complete Workbench dissapeared?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
onesz

Complete Workbench dissapeared?

Post by onesz »

Hallo!

I did not found a topic about the workbenches (only in FreeCAD 17. Disaster) in this reason I put here one user question, may someone can explain the situation.

In version v0.17 & v0.18 the complete workbench is the same as the Inspection workbench.
The complete workbench was different in v0.16 - it was showing all workbenches icons.
How can we switch back to the "normal" complete workbench?
or
How can I add more icons to the Complete workbench from the other workbenches?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Complete Workbench dissapeared?

Post by chrisb »

onesz wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:15 am The complete workbench was different in v0.16 - it was showing all workbenches icons.
Even in 0.16 it did not show all icons of all workbenches, so it was far from being complete. So we even had a discussion here to remove it completely.
You can create your own toolbars with the icons you need.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onesz

Post by onesz »

@chrisb
than you for your thoughts.

This is the solution then:

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Interface_Customization

or more qualifying:

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Workbench_creation
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:52 am Even in 0.16 it did not show all icons of all workbenches, so it was far from being complete. So we even had a discussion here to remove it completely.
You can create your own toolbars with the icons you need.
Lets create or notate somewhere that this WB has been sunseted ...?
Maybe on the wiki ? We could also link to the forum thread for people to read the discussion
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22600

What's ironic now is that the "Complete" workbench is now completely empty. ;)

I'm certainly not sad about it disappearing, as I've said numerous times (and quite often vociferously ;) ) over the years. But I was lobbying for its total suppression, and this was not done. An empty workbench still remains, and it won't be customized, so it is basically useless. There is no logic in leaving it that way.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

NormandC wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:33 pm https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22600

What's ironic now is that the "Complete" workbench is now completely empty. ;)

I'm certainly not sad about it disappearing, as I've said numerous times (and quite often vociferously ;) ) over the years. But I was lobbying for its total suppression, and this was not done. An empty workbench still remains, and it won't be customized, so it is basically useless. There is no logic in leaving it that way.
Agreed, this way is more confusing than a complete removal.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Complete workbench purpose once was to be a placeholder for commands that are considered completed. Over time developers didn't care about this aspect anymore and in addition some Complete workbench specific issues were involved.

Before full removal it was decided to try to repurpose it. If end user is not a programmer and wants a workbench placeholder for custom FreeCAD command experience. Complete workbench provides that. Now if there are end users out there doing this. I don't know. Another option to explore was to provide a FreeCAD workbench where (occasional) developers could contribute useful (completed) FreeCAD commands. For this part it didn't happen as nobody contributed such command(s). That is Complete workbench would provide an additional option and from developer point of view it would be positioned somewhere in between writing a macro and a module/workbench. And i feel that we are lacking a bit in this department lately aren't we? Lack of useful upstream FreeCAD command contribution.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

triplus wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:14 pm If end user is not a programmer and wants a workbench placeholder for custom FreeCAD command experience. Complete workbench provides that.
How. As I wrote above, it is not possible to add commands to the Complete workbench using the Customize dialog.

And it was already said by a few people that a placeholder for miscellaneous commands should not be named "Complete" as it's completely besides its purpose.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

NormandC wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:18 pm How. As I wrote above, it is not possible to add commands to the Complete workbench using the Customize dialog.
Why wouldn't it be possible?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Have you tried it?