Problem using Draft Move with PartDesign Bodies

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dcapeletti

Problem using Draft Move with PartDesign Bodies

Post by dcapeletti »

Hello,
I'm trying to move the Horizontal body so that it's aligned with the Vertical body. I put the plane in the XY and used the move tool with the constraints I show in the video, however I can not align the object as I want. The expected result is shown at the end of the video, when I change the values by hand, but the idea is to change it with the move tool.

https://peertube.video/videos/watch/543 ... f4498198c1

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13528 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 5c3f7bf8ec51e2c7187789f7edba71a7aa82a88b
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Spanish/Argentina (es_AR)

Thanks
Last edited by dcapeletti on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
vocx
Veteran

Re: Problem moving and aligning objects

Post by vocx »

It works for me. See the attached file. Maybe you can try on it.

I would only choose one Draft_Snap option, in this case, Draft Endpoint. Deactivate the other one.

In the menu Edit > Preferences... > Draft > Grid and snapping, you can control whether Always snap (disable snap mod) or not. I prefer to use the modifier, so that it only snaps when I hold Ctrl in my keyboard.

Also, when doing the movement, I prefer to hit the X, Y, or Z keys in the keyboard to constrain the movement of the object in that direction. You should try pressing once (don't hold) the X key when you enter the Draft_Move tool.

I'm using the 0.18 unstable version, but it should be the same with the 0.17 version.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.14979 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 47536dcd3729d3db106af628d62f2bf449e68c49
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
alignment.fcstd
(4.9 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello,

Kudos on using Peertube!

vocx just replied while I was finishing up my reply.

The problem is in v0.17, the Draft tools do not take a Body container's placement into account. The snap symbol appears where the selected vertex would be if your "Horizontal" Body position was at (0, 0, 0). Your video capture shows it to be at (-31, 25, 17).

This has been fixed in v0.18-dev. If you can't compile from source, you could use the AppImage. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre

May I ask you to edit your topic title so it more specifically describes the issue? Something like "Problem using Draft Move with PartDesign Bodies".
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Select from the snapping tools only the endpoint snap.
- Click the move tool,
- the corner of the object which you want to move
- click the target corner
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Chris, you have obviously not watched dcapeletti's video.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:06 pm Chris, you have obviously not watched dcapeletti's video.
Well, I watched it, but probably not good enough. I have recreated his model, and before answering I tried if aligning works as described, alas, I did so in 0.18.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Did you notice in the video that when he places the cursor over a vertex, the white round circle appears in an empty area of 3D space instead of on the preselected vertex? That's the issue here, and there were a few topics about this after 0.17 came out back in April.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:38 pm Did you notice in the video that when he places the cursor over a vertex, the white round circle appears in an empty area of 3D space instead of on the preselected vertex? That's the issue here, and there were a few topics about this after 0.17 came out back in April.
It seemed to me that the problem was that he had selected the edge and not the vertex.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

With Draft snap to end point enabled you don't need to place the cursor exactly over the vertex, you place it on the edge, and depending on where your cursor is, either of the edge endpoints will be preselected and the round indicator will appear over the vertex. Haven't you tried it in v0.17 vs. v0.18? Try it with a simple Part primitive to compare.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In the meantime I have learned it - thanks!