[bug] no dLabel from Arch. Section in Arch. view (TechDrawing)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
amarao

[bug] no dLabel from Arch. Section in Arch. view (TechDrawing)

Post by amarao »

Hello.

I may be mistaken, but I wasn't able to force ArchView to show arch. dLabel.

dLabel is included in my arch. section, the section is configured to show everything (only_solids=False), The arch. view is based on that section, and it has All On=True. The original section has dLabel with an area of a panel (I've made a minimal example with one object and dLabel), but ArchView shows only the panel, but not the dLabel.

I plan to report this as a bug. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!
Attachments
no_dLabel.fcstd
(9.77 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: [bug] no dLabel from Arch. Section in Arch. view (TechDrawing)

Post by wandererfan »

amarao wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:42 am I plan to report this as a bug. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!
You should report it as a bug in Arch (ArchSectionPlane.getSVG() I think). That's where objects get included or excluded and the actual image gets created. TD just displays the result from getSVG.
amarao

Post by amarao »

Wow, ArchSection is in Python. I'll try to send a pull request with a fix, if this can be done with a small blood.
amarao

Post by amarao »

I almost done.

I found where it's been rendered and was able to write a value on resulting ArchView.

Now I need to draw lines.

A Label consists of Text, StraightLine, and Arrow (pointing to Target). StraightLine have two directions: Vertical and Horizontal.

I can steal Arrow code from Dimension implementation, but math with lines is too hard for me.

I have following data:

Placement.Base (x,y,z)
TargetPoint (x,y,z)
StrightDistance (one number)
StrightDirection (horizontal or vertical)

My current research on Label behavior (in 3D) is:

Text is aligned on left of the Placement.
StraightLine is drawn from Placement in a given StraighDirection (H/V),
from there an arrow is drawn toward TargetPoint.

My math (please, please check and fix this):
Horizontal:
Middle_point[x,y,z] = Placement[x+StrightDirection, y, z]
Vertical:
Middle_point[x,y,z]=Placement[x, y+StrightDirection, z]

Then I need to do getProj to each point to get it position on 2D plane.

Do I do it right?
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

amarao wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:25 pm Placement.Base (x,y,z)
TargetPoint (x,y,z)
StrightDistance (one number)
StrightDirection (horizontal or vertical)

<snip>
My math (please, please check and fix this):
Horizontal:
Middle_point[x,y,z] = Placement[x+StrightDirection, y, z]
Vertical:
Middle_point[x,y,z]=Placement[x, y+StrightDirection, z]
This is mostly correct. Change only X to move horizontally, change only Y to move vertically. But you can't add vectors and scalars.
Try this instead:

x+StrightDistance
y+StrightDistance
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I replied more on https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 86#p264086
But basically the way this works ATM, you must produce an SVG which is a projected (and scaled) representation of the 3D view. Indeed you can reuse many of the existing pieces in Draft.getSVG. To draw the lines, you basically need the 3 points of the line in the 3D view, then you can simply create an SVG path with them. The Draft Label has a Points property which holds those 3 points, that are updated automatically. Then you use getProj() with each of these points to get their projected position. The scaling is done automatically later on by putting everything inside a transform element, so you normally don't need to worry about that
amarao

Post by amarao »

Oh, thanks a lot! You are really helping me!

My current work is here (I got a little time yesterday, so it still at 'label only' state, I plan to continue this evening):

https://github.com/amarao/FreeCAD/tree/addSVGtoLabel

I have two more questions:
1. My line is too thin (I tried to make it as '<path d="Mx1,y1 Lx2,y2">'). It is, but it almost invisible. How can I make it the same thickness as dimensions lines (I suppose label lines should look similar to dimension lines).
2. I found that resulting SVG contains two my <path>es after I make a single svg+= operation. One in <g> section and it is visible in inspection in Inkscape, and second one is invisible, but present.

I don't know if #2 is an issue or it's supposed to be this way.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

amarao wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:57 am 1. My line is too thin (I tried to make it as '<path d="Mx1,y1 Lx2,y2">'). It is, but it almost invisible. How can I make it the same thickness as dimensions lines (I suppose label lines should look similar to dimension lines).
There is a line thickness parameter. Does it not work?
From ArchSection.py
def getSVG(section, renderMode="Wireframe", allOn=False, showHidden=False, scale=1, rotation=0, linewidth=1, lineColor=(0.0,0.0,0.0), fontsize=1, showFill=False, fillColor=(0.8,0.8,0.8), techdraw=False):

From Draft.py
def getSVG(obj,scale=1,linewidth=0.35,fontsize=12,fillstyle="shape color",direction=None,linestyle=None,color=None,linespacing=None,techdraw=False,rotation=0):
amarao

Post by amarao »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:12 pm
amarao wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:57 am 1. My line is too thin (I tried to make it as '<path d="Mx1,y1 Lx2,y2">'). It is, but it almost invisible. How can I make it the same thickness as dimensions lines (I suppose label lines should look similar to dimension lines).
There is a line thickness parameter. Does it not work?
From ArchSection.py
def getSVG(section, renderMode="Wireframe", allOn=False, showHidden=False, scale=1, rotation=0, linewidth=1, lineColor=(0.0,0.0,0.0), fontsize=1, showFill=False, fillColor=(0.8,0.8,0.8), techdraw=False):
It worked, thank you.

I made a second part (line). It looks like this (this example have Dimension and Label, Label is on the left):
example.png
example.png (15.7 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
Here is my code: https://github.com/amarao/FreeCAD/commi ... 1fa4578291

I'll work on the arrow in a few days.

Few things which are bother me now:

1) ArchView section border is smaller than resulting picture - my label is cut by the view border. How can I extend that border?
2) There are tons of properties in the dLabel: 2D/3D view, Text Align, Line Width, etc. I not really understand how they should translate into rendering (f.e. should I take in account line width?). I have no idea how to do text align (top/middle/bottom), and what to do with 2D/3D thing?

The last one I just do not understand. What 3D or 2D view for label means?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Very good! Pretty elegant code.. I wouldn't worry too much about supporting each and every feature of the Drat label to start with... Better first have a basic code working, then you or anyone else can refine things later on.

The 2D/3D thing is only used in the 3D view (it defines if the text stays perpendicular to the view direction or not), so it's of no use when projecting in 2D.