assembly

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
amka

assembly

Post by amka »

Hi,

I see that it's no yet assembly module but I see such images as joined.

Can please someone say me how that is done ? Is it simply a part ?

Regards,

amka :)
Attachments
screenshot-03.jpg
screenshot-03.jpg (145.14 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Willem
Veteran

Re: assembly

Post by Willem »

Hi, with the addon manager you can download an assembly workbench. The choice you have is
- Assembly 2 workbench and
- A2 plus workbench

I used Assembly 2 and it is simple and reliable
A2 plus is a modified Assembly 2 workbench with some new functions. I have no experience with it
dcapeletti

Post by dcapeletti »

Willem wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:42 am Hi, with the addon manager you can download an assembly workbench. The choice you have is
- Assembly 2 workbench and
- A2 plus workbench

I used Assembly 2 and it is simple and reliable
A2 plus is a modified Assembly 2 workbench with some new functions. I have no experience with it
I would like to see an animation of that robot.

I did this with A2Plus https://peertube.video/videos/watch/6f0 ... 06eb4f0d81 is similar to Assembly 2. But A2Plus does not have this inconvenience to generate 2D drawings. In Assembly 2 updating the assembly creates problems with 2D drawings. See https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 93#p264291
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

amka wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:22 am I see that it's no yet assembly module but I see such images as joined.

Can please someone say me how that is done ? Is it simply a part ?
There are Assembly workbenches, but they are experimental, that is, they are still in development, and are not yet officially part of the standard FreeCAD code (as of today, 2018).

If you don't use an assembly workbench, you can still produce such 3D models. However, you have to manually modify the Placement, and Position [x, y, z] properties of each individual Body. It's a very tedious process, but it can be done.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

vocx wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:39 pm If you don't use an assembly workbench, you can still produce such 3D models. However, you have to manually modify the Placement, and Position [x, y, z] properties of each individual Body. It's a very tedious process, but it can be done.
Instead of doing it manually you can use the addon Manipulator Workbench. The resulting models are fully compatible with current FreeCAD versions.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

amka wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:22 am I see that it's no yet assembly module but I see such images as joined.
Hi @amka.

Currently Assembly2, A2plus and Assembly 3 modules are available for FreeCAD.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Manipulator WB in action

phpBB [video]
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

Just for reference for future visitors of this thread. There's also pretty complex Assembly 3, which is in development, but the Octover's release was a giant leap forward in terms of stability. There should be also a new release by the end of this month (November 2018).
Some bugs are present, but it is fairly feasible Assembly tool, once you get to use it. The most troubling is solver behaviour, he often needs to change parts position in order to solve the constraints.
Also there's currently no other way to put assembly (3) into drawing but through part WB -> Crate Copy -> Create a simple copy command. This means every time you change something, you have to crate a new copy of the object and replace the linked object in the drawing view(s).

It has to be said, though, that Realthunder's Assembly 3 is not only a workbench, it's a fork of FreeCAD highly modified, with amended infrastructure, such as Link concept. This means, that models created in standard FC and this fork are not directly compatible. Assembly 3 can modify FC models to it's standards, but there's currently no way (I know of) to convert them back.

A2 is pretty simple, but strait-forward and good work bench, however I had a lot of troubles with more complicated models. In such extent, that it rendered to be unfeasible (for large assemblies). It doesn't complain as the A3 solver, but it the A2 assembly simply "explodes" at some stage and I couldn't find way around it...
I didn't have chance to test A2plus yet.
Regards,

Oak