Part design model an data tab

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jruiz

Part design model an data tab

Post by jruiz »

Good morning.
Suppose an object depending several parameters, ma( pa, pb, ...) is created with part design (with combinations of sketches, extrusion, pocket, ...).
With just the use of FreeCAD GUI (exclusively, with no python codification), Would it be possible to
  1. Have the data tab of object ma, displaying the parameters pi (i = a, b, ...) for modifying them eventually?,
  2. Create another object, say mb( pa, pb,...), based on the class of ma( pa, pb, ...) (without copying and pasting) with the possibility of accessing its own data tab?
Regards
I have uploaded many FreeCAD video tutorials to my YouTube channel
Willem
Veteran

Re: Part design model an data tab

Post by Willem »

Hi, it is possible to do all dimensions in a spreadsheet and make links to the dimensions, padlengths pocketdepths etc with expressions. See my example file. In the spreadsheet you can change the dimensions and the model changes immediately
Attachments
box.fcstd
(15.14 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

Willem wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:56 pm Hi, it is possible to do all dimensions in a spreadsheet and make links to the dimensions, padlengths pocketdepths etc with expressions. See my example file. In the spreadsheet you can change the dimensions and the model changes immediately
Thanks for answering.
There are details in your solution I am trying to avoid:
  1. How do u create a new object of this same class with different parameters? Copying and pasting?
  2. Suppose you create,say, 5 different objects of this same class: you'll have 5 spreadsheets, one for each object.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Have you seen the DynamicData_Workbench?

You can use it to create a property container (dd object) and put your own custom properties into it. You can then modify those properties via the data tab of the dd object. Once you have it setup with properties you need (example: pad height, length) then when you change the property value in the dd object data tab the model will update automatically.
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

TheMarkster wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:21 pm Have you seen the DynamicData_Workbench?

You can use it to create a property container (dd object) and put your own custom properties into it. You can then modify those properties via the data tab of the dd object. Once you have it setup with properties you need (example: pad height, length) then when you change the property value in the dd object data tab the model will update automatically.
DD almost adapt to want I was thinking on. (Thanks a lot!)
Going to use it.

I am going to suggest the creation of a "DynamicBody" class as a "fusion" of Body an DD.

Regards.
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

TheMarkster wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:21 pm Have you seen the DynamicData_Workbench?

I just made a Feature request concerning "Dynamic Body" class creation.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 6#p266832

If you take a look at it. Please tell me what do you think of this idea.

Regards.