Fundamental concepts of quickly modeling 3D architecture?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Re: Fundamental concepts of quickly modeling 3D architecture?

Post by paullee »

Joyas wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:49 pm The walls were made using the method of "master sketch + many slave sketchs".
Hi, nice model!

I find sketch on one hand allow ease e.g. in change of dimension, but problematic on the other when deletIng and adding new edges. Delete 1 edge in the sketch easily break the external reference. Design development become difficult - if the layout etc is fixed, no problem.

Do you have this problem? Any way you find to tackle it?

Thanks for any idea.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Very good model @Joyas interesting to see your modeling workflow. It reconciliates me a bit with the idea of using sketches to build walls... It's actually a feature you don't find in other BIM applications (the ability to "draw" your whole plan).
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

paullee wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:19 pm
Joyas wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:49 pm The walls were made using the method of "master sketch + many slave sketchs".
Hi, nice model!

I find sketch on one hand allow ease e.g. in change of dimension, but problematic on the other when deletIng and adding new edges. Delete 1 edge in the sketch easily break the external reference. Design development become difficult - if the layout etc is fixed, no problem.

Do you have this problem? Any way you find to tackle it?

Thanks for any idea.
Thanks.

Yes, if you delete a edge, the other edges could get renumbered and you can lost some relationships. Maybe it could be solved if the lines keep its number and user is allowed to change them.
yorik wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:58 pm Very good model @Joyas interesting to see your modeling workflow. It reconciliates me a bit with the idea of using sketches to build walls... It's actually a feature you don't find in other BIM applications (the ability to "draw" your whole plan).
Thanks. I will try to update it in the future with pipes, electrical connections and a concrete structure.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Joyas wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:16 am
Yes, if you delete a edge, the other edges could get renumbered and you can lost some relationships. Maybe it could be solved if the lines keep its number and user is allowed to change them.
yorik wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:58 pm Very good model @Joyas interesting to see your modeling workflow. It reconciliates me a bit with the idea of using sketches to build walls... It's actually a feature you don't find in other BIM applications (the ability to "draw" your whole plan).
Hi, I try IFCexport (FC 0.17 in Win) and it looks good.

See below-
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 84#p268884

Screenshot from 2018-11-15 01-32-35.png
Screenshot from 2018-11-15 01-32-35.png (275.62 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
sb56637

Post by sb56637 »

vocx wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:06 pmThe Draft workbench allow you to create 2D lines and wires that you can turn into Walls. This works most of the time. Changing the size of the wires is a bit more complicated, as you cannot just define the length of the lines; you need to change the points that make the wire. The best way to do this is with a grid, and snapping to points in that grid. It's a bit more elaborate but works better in my opinion. Once you become proficient with Draft, you can align your walls relatively quickly.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion / explanation. Draft doesn't have any parametric controls, right? That would be the major limitation for me, after years of doing mechanical design with parametric 3D solid modelers.
sb56637

Post by sb56637 »

vocx wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:06 pmThe Draft workbench allow you to create 2D lines and wires that you can turn into Walls. This works most of the time. Changing the size of the wires is a bit more complicated, as you cannot just define the length of the lines; you need to change the points that make the wire. The best way to do this is with a grid, and snapping to points in that grid. It's a bit more elaborate but works better in my opinion. Once you become proficient with Draft, you can align your walls relatively quickly.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion / explanation. Draft doesn't have any parametric controls, right? That would be the major limitation for me, after years of doing mechanical design with parametric 3D solid modelers I tend to think around the parametric workflow.
Last edited by sb56637 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

sb56637 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:10 pm Thanks a lot for the suggestion / explanation. Draft doesn't have any parametric controls, right? That would be the major limitation for me, after years of doing mechanical design with parametric 3D solid modelers.
Yes, Draft is more about working with a grid. You put wires aligned to a grid. The grid can have as much detail as you want. For example, if you are building a house, your grid can be of 5 cm between lines, which is fine, as most features in a house will have bigger dimensions; for example, a wall may be 15 cm thick, and be 5 m long, and 3 m high. So, your grid doesn't need to be very fine, just fine enough for the big things.

The Arch tools can take the 2D Draft lines to build the walls, but you can also use the tool with any type of solid. What I mean is you can build a solid body parametrically using PartDesign, and only at the end, you can switch to the Arch Workbench, and use the Arch Wall tool to turn that solid into a Wall object. The Wall object basically defines some properties on top of the already existing solid.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

It reconciliates me a bit with the idea of using sketches to build walls...
When I tested Fc Arch (just to see), it's the method that spontaneously came to mind, I must say that I'm a mechanic, and I used another CAD mechanic.
I only regret that Fc does not know "multiline" in a line you do the coating, insulation, concrete, plaster and wallpaper.
but problematic on the other when deletIng and adding new edges
do not delete a sketch that you modify, you open it on the screen and modify it completely if necessary, so it will always bind to the original face without creating any error