(Solved) 0.18 two issues (treeview and zooming peformance)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
user1234
Veteran

(Solved) 0.18 two issues (treeview and zooming peformance)

Post by user1234 »

Hello!

I am working with

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15208 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: e02695b91fc8aa19e64594c12386104368809ebc
Python version: 2.7.15+
Qt version: 5.11.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
and have two issues.

The first and newest: the tree view (only) panel is away. Is this intention? I think this was really useful. With the combo view i have no overview.
noTreeView.png
noTreeView.png (109.72 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

The second and longer issue, that a have already a long time, is a performance problem. If i zoom with the mouse in the model, the FPS goes extreme down. This is also when the model is clipped. But when i zoom with the mouse outside the model, it works fine. Working with larger models is almost impossible (or let us say damn hard). I have this issue longer, but no time before to report this. It is intependent from the the OpenGL vertex puffer setting. No anti aliasing. Models are rough (1% deviation). I think this is related to https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p260315.
ZoomFrames.gif
ZoomFrames.gif (504.85 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
For help and answers i am very thankful.

Sorry for bad english.

Greetings, a user.
Last edited by user1234 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freedman
Veteran

Re: 0.18 two issues (treeview and zooming peformance)

Post by freedman »

This should be moved to Help.

Issue #1: I hope the Tree view hasn't been removed, I use it all the time on my desktop.

Issue #2: View->Standard views->Fit all should fix the clipping problem.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I confirm that Tree view and Property view have indeed been removed from View --> Panels in v0.18. :?

Not sure why. It might be accidental.

Pinging mlampert who recently added the new View --> Document Tree sub-menu, maybe he'd be able to figure it out?

mlampert wrote:
And of course
wmayer wrote:
Do you have insight on this? Thanks!
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Hello!
freedman wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:45 am This should be moved to Help.
I do not think so, because this is not about "how to use" FreeCAD, only my thought. But maybe you are right.
freedman wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:45 am Issue #2: View->Standard views->Fit all should fix the clipping problem.
This *.gif is a "View-->ClippingView". I want so show that the performance issue is also here, when the mouse is in the model (or bounding box) in a clipping view. But thanks.

Sorry for bad english.

Greetings
user
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Help forum. These kind of topics belong there (well now it's rather "here" than "there").
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

The first and newest: the tree view (only) panel is away. Is this intention? I think this was really useful. With the combo view i have no overview.
The tree view and property view are still there but disabled by default. git commit 3d8b815834f
In order to get them back open the parameter editor and create the groups:
BaseApp/Preferences/DockWindows/TreeView with the boolean key Enabled set to true and
BaseApp/Preferences/DockWindows/PropertyView with the boolean key Enabled set to true.

Afterwards you have to restart FreeCAD.

Of course when many people still use the standalone tree/property view we can make the above settings true by default.

As a developer it's a pain when two tree views exist and you want to debug something in the code because things are always done twice which can be quite confusing sometimes.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

The second and longer issue, that a have already a long time, is a performance problem. If i zoom with the mouse in the model, the FPS goes extreme down. This is also when the model is clipped.
As a very first step I would check for updates of the graphic driver.
I think this is related to https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p260315.
The issue there was about a special mouse with additional settings the user forgot to change.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

With git commit d86c83d6c5 the two views are back again by default but you must follow the above steps and manually set the keys to true (or delete your user.cfg).
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

wmayer wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:27 am With git commit d86c83d6c5 the two views are back again by default but you must follow the above steps and manually set the keys to true (or delete your user.cfg).
Thanks for that. Works fine.

One general question, can a task view only implemented? If someone wants a combo view, you can dock it like all others windows (like i did for the combo view and the property view, see screenshot). So you need only one tree view in the sourcecode to maintain.
For me, as example as an user, want always see a tree view and a task view, but never combined in a tab. If i have a running task, i always have to switch back and forth. (For exemple clipping view, that i use extreme.) And with the combo view i have two tree views and i think this interfering. Just a thought, no offence.
DockWindows.png
DockWindows.png (197.05 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
wmayer wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:16 am As a very first step I would check for updates of the graphic driver.
Checked before (and now). I have the latest driver.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Granville [Radeon HD 6850M/6870M] [1002:68a8]
xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:18.1.0-1 from 2018-09-18
With radeontop i looked to the grafic card performance. While zooming the card did not work hard.
ZoomingGrafic.gif
ZoomingGrafic.gif (884.63 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
But when i zooming the CPU goes up. I want to show about that a *.gif, but they are always to big to attach. So i hope the screenshot is enough.
ZoomingCPU.png
ZoomingCPU.png (199.3 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
One thing what is also interesting. If the mouse is over a simple part like a cube or a cylinder, it is faster. But if the mouse over a chamfer, radius, cone or a part with more features, it slows extreme down.

Sorry for the many *.gif, but a dynamic issue is hard to show.

At least the version with i do the screenshots:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15213 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: af36a78f7f333473b0c2541c4038d60017658f22
Python version: 2.7.15+
Qt version: 5.11.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
Sorry for bad english.

Greetings
user
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I agree it would sometimes be nice to have a possibility of using a standalone Tasks panel (QDockWidget). Likely named Tasks view. Wanted to propose something like that in the past myself. As for duplicate code. Werner added Search capability to the Tree view (Combo View). I am guessing that left the standalone Tree view widget without this functionality. As he would need to implement such functionality twice.

How about if there would be a setting in Preferences. To use a Combo View or a set of standalone widgets (Tree, Property and Tasks view). This would be acknowledged on FreeCAD start. And as functionality such as Tree panel would be put inside Combo View or in a set of standalone individual QDockWidgets. No duplicate code would be needed anymore after? End users could use the preferred layout of the mentioned widgets.