How to change default values for newly created bodies?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kisolre
Veteran

How to change default values for newly created bodies?

Post by kisolre »

In a one of my files "Display mode body" got changed to "Tip" automatically some time ago. This makes sketches invisible and imposible to edit. I found that this is the problem and changed it by hand for the bodies that need editing but lately forgot and stumbled upon it again. Is there a way to change default settings for newly created bodies/sketches/...? Another thing that I mostly do is set the bodies to transparent state to easily see their internals from all sides. It would be good if I could change the default transparency to 60% so all new bodies would be transparent.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to change default values for newly created bodies?

Post by chrisb »

kisolre wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:13 pm In a one of my files "Display mode body" got changed to "Tip" automatically some time ago.
Can't help with the template, but this automatic change might come from some addon workbench like part-o-magic.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: How to change default values for newly created bodies?

Post by NormandC »

I've never heard before of the "Display mode body" property switching to Tip by itself. "Through" is already the default value.

kisolre wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:13 pm Is there a way to change default settings for newly created bodies/sketches/...?
Not for bodies, but there are many existing settings for sketches. It is easily found in the preferences BTW... Preferences --> Sketcher --> Colors, the first two settings are for a sketch's appearance outside of sketch edit mode.

kisolre wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:13 pm It would be good if I could change the default transparency to 60% so all new bodies would be transparent.
How about setting the default transparency for any type of object? This way it would mean only adding a general setting in Preferences --> Display --> Part colors, rather than creating a Body-specific setting.