Principal question

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Arnold

Principal question

Post by Arnold »

Hi,

for me it looks that freecad have many modules but they are not realy working together.

for example.If you created a part with sketch then there is no way to create automaticaly from sketch a drawing with measurement.

I´m wrong or why ?

thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Principal question

Post by chrisb »

Arnold wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:39 pm I´m wrong or why ?
Almost. Have a look at the TechDraw workbench. You only have to tell which measure you want to see. It can perhaps not be derived automatically.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

chrisb wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:44 pm Have a look at the TechDraw workbench. You only have to tell which measure you want to see. It can perhaps not be derived automatically.
TechDraw will draw the geometry of a sketch. Getting constraint info is on the TODO list. Adding measurements manually is pretty straight forward since we're dealing with a 2d Source object.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
You always have the right to create your own workshop and put all the tools you need to live
Arnold

Post by Arnold »

Sorry for late reply.

Techdraw is not bad.

But if you are using 4K Screen, its hard to click some marks. But this problem is everywhere in Freecad. Some symbols hardcodes and to small
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

TechDraw: increase Preferences->TechDraw->TechDraw Dimensions->VertexScale.

For other points, e.g. in Sketcher: Increase Preferences->Display->MarkerSize.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Arnold wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:39 pm Hi,

for me it looks that freecad have many modules but they are not realy working together.
You are more or less correct. Originally, FreeCAD just provided the Part Workbench to create simple 3D objects which could be fused together or subtracted from each other. This is a basic way of building 3D parts, and kinda was the original intention of FreeCAD.

After the groundwork was done, more developers started adding workbenches that made use of the drawing capabilities of the Part Workbench. However, most workbenches remain essentially independent of each other, because each of them can be more or less developed independently. This is the nature of open source software. There is not a single person dictating the direction of FreeCAD, or having tight control of every workbench of FreeCAD. The original developers set up the foundations of FreeCAD, but individual developers contribute in more specific areas that interest them. For example, currently the Arch, Draft, BIM, Path, FEM, TechDraw workbenches have a lot of development because individuals are very interested in those tools.

I think FreeCAD definitely could use a more focused approach to try to bring all tools together. But at the same time FreeCAD is very dynamic. That dynamism keeps the development innovative and avoids stagnation.
for example.If you created a part with sketch then there is no way to create automaticaly from sketch a drawing with measurement.

I´m wrong or why ?

thanks
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you want to have a sketch (flat drawing) or a solid object (PartDesign Body) automatically dimensioned? I don't know if there are commercial programs that do this, because showing dimensions in a drawing is more or less a manual task. The program cannot guess which dimensions from a sketch or a solid are important to be displayed.

In any case, it doesn't sound like a bad idea. And this is the power of FreeCAD, if you have a good idea, you can mention it here, and maybe some developer will decide to implement it.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.