3D Texture on Wall

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: 3D Texture on Wall

Post by Kunda1 »

Perhaps we can make a ticket tracking this ? Maybe someone could optimize the processing time of the macro and improve it ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

NormandC wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:12 pm The pattern you see on those thumbscrews is called knurling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knurling

The question is: do you really need to model it? This is going to be tedious, and it will make the model slow to recompute.

What's the end purpose? 3D printing? Manufacturing?
IMHO, the best knurling would be some lines over the surface, not a real carving.

I have tried something similar using compound solids, with the solid and the lines over the surface.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi
Kunda1 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:07 pm Perhaps we can make a ticket tracking this ? Maybe someone could optimize the processing time of the macro and improve it ?
no problem
Joyas wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:55 pm
my point 1
mario52 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:36 pm 1: takes a lot of time to build the knurling (not profitable) and not to get the result (for the moment and in the way that i work)
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

The main use is to give traction to 2 surfaces in contact (ie wheel on rubber disc) or fingers on knob
if it's just to have a "printed" aspect it will be just aesthetics