Number pad

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Sketcher1

Number pad

Post by Sketcher1 »

Greetings. I am brand new to FreeCad (but not to many others). Yes I searched for an answer. Yes I checked the Help files. When I use the program, my Num pad does not enter numbers. It either moves the part around or changes the view orientation. (Top, Front, etc.) I would really prefer to use the Num pad to enter numerals rather than reverting to the numerals on the QWERTY area, Thanks
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Number pad

Post by Kunda1 »

Welcome to forum.
Whenever asking for help please mention the Help > About FreeCAD > Copy to clipboard info in your post. Thanks.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Sketcher1 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:12 pm When I use the program, my Num pad does not enter numbers. It either moves the part around or changes the view orientation. (Top, Front, etc.)
Hi!
You must put your blinking cursor into where you want to enter the number.

It may help a little bit to remap keyboard shortcuts for standard views. It won't make number entry easier, but it will at least stop the view from spinning. You can do it in Tools->Customize, keyboard. I also wrote a Macro Unbind Numpad Shortcuts to quicken the process.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:19 pm Welcome to forum.
Whenever asking for help please mention the Help > About FreeCAD > Copy to clipboard info in your post. Thanks.
Just wondering. Do you plan to offer support after or you feel just asking for info is enough?
Sketcher1 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:12 pm Greetings. I am brand new to FreeCad (but not to many others). Yes I searched for an answer. Yes I checked the Help files. When I use the program, my Num pad does not enter numbers. It either moves the part around or changes the view orientation. (Top, Front, etc.) I would really prefer to use the Num pad to enter numerals rather than reverting to the numerals on the QWERTY area, Thanks
Hi @Sketcher1 and welcome.

It depends. If you for example want to change the Length property of Part Cube. After making the input field of the property active, and trying to input the number. If that would change the viewport orientation. We would likely be talking about a bug. If the focus is on the viewport itself, and not some input widget, then it's normal and expected behavior, for orientation to change.

In short, you should already be able to input numbers in such way.
Sketcher1

Post by Sketcher1 »

If I had the slightest clue what you are talking about, I would say, "No problem".
Sketcher1

Post by Sketcher1 »

triplus wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:19 pm
Just wondering. Do you plan to offer support after or you feel just asking for info is enough?
Sketcher1 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:12 pm Greetings. I am brand new to FreeCad (but not to many others). Yes I searched for an answer. Yes I checked the Help files. When I use the program, my Num pad does not enter numbers. It either moves the part around or changes the view orientation. (Top, Front, etc.) I would really prefer to use the Num pad to enter numerals rather than reverting to the numerals on the QWERTY area, Thanks
Hi @Sketcher1 and welcome.

It depends. If you for example want to change the Length property of Part Cube. After making the input field of the property active, and trying to input the number. If that would change the viewport orientation. We would likely be talking about a bug. If the focus is on the viewport itself, and not some input widget, then it's normal and expected behavior, for orientation to change.

In short, you should already be able to input numbers in such way.
Well, considering that I have used FreeCAD, effectively, for about 10 minutes, your challenge seems a bit premature. Actually, merely asking this question IS offering support to anyone that is having the same issue. OK, specifically the Length property. THANKS. I had triggered a sketch dimension to change from 3" to 20" and the num pad failed. I used the number keys on the main keyboard. I also tried toggling Num lock on and off. That is how I found tht the orientation OR the location would move. Thanks. I will continue to delve.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Sketcher1 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:11 pm Well, considering that I have used FreeCAD, effectively, for about 10 minutes, your challenge seems a bit premature. Actually, merely asking this question IS offering support to anyone that is having the same issue. OK, specifically the Length property. THANKS.
Fair point.
I had triggered a sketch dimension to change from 3" to 20" and the num pad failed. I used the number keys on the main keyboard. I also tried toggling Num lock on and off. That is how I found tht the orientation OR the location would move. Thanks. I will continue to delve.
Yes, numbers on keyboard are used for orientation purposes too. There is no special reason on why. This feature was added a while back for end user convenience. You should still be able to use the numeric keyboard in your use case, though. What i am guessing happened is you selected the constraint and wanted to change its value. And the view on the screen changed instead? What you actually need to do is to double click the constraint. And that should open a dialog. You can use the dialog input fields to change the value or to define expressions. Changing the value with numpad should work in such dialog. At least it always worked on my side. If it doesn't work on your side, we will need to figure out on why.

P.S. It can be challenging at beginning. But as you made it into Sketcher and was able to produce geometry and constraints. In about 10 minutes. I am optimistic you will quickly get the hang of it. If something won't make much sense, feel free to ask for additional clues.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved from Open discussion to Help forum.
Sketcher1 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:03 pm If I had the slightest clue what you are talking about, I would say, "No problem".
You find an explanation in the forum guidelines: http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rmilldes

Post by rmilldes »

I know this is older now, but what version of Qt/Python does your build use? I have been working on building v0.18 using Qt5/Py3 and I have seen this faulty number pad behavior in Qt5 builds but it works just fine in Qt4/Py2 builds.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Please be more explicit, on what faulty number pad behavior in Qt5 builds are you experiencing.