How do I move a vertex of a line?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
LindaPeterson

How do I move a vertex of a line?

Post by LindaPeterson »

Hi,

I'm new to CAD and I'm trying to get going with an easy project.
For some reason I'm not able to move a vertex of a line in the arch or draft workbench. Can someone please tell me how this can be done?

For instance, I create a rectangle and then I'd like to move one one vertex of it to a different location (while keeping the lines).

Thanks
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: How do I move a vertex of a line?

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi!
You can't.
Use Sketcher for that instead (you can convert your rectangle into a sketch, there is a tool for that in Draft workbench). Or draw your rectangle as DWire instead. FreeCAD doesn't support moving arbitrary vertices yet, and is unlikely to support it ever.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Linda,

Welcome to the forum.

DeepSOIC wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:32 pmYou can't.
What are you talking about?

Vertices on Draft elements can be edited and moved with the Image Draft Edit tool.

There is no problem doing what Linda is asking for a Draft Rectangle.

The attached animated GIF exceeds my self-imposed 10-second limit, but it's not too long (15 seconds).
Attachments
FC_Draft_Edit_Rectangle_01.gif
FC_Draft_Edit_Rectangle_01.gif (169.33 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

NormandC wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:34 pm DeepSOIC wrote: ↑
14 Dec 2018, 03:32
You can't.

What are you talking about?
I think he means that its not lines, its a rectangle object. So moving one vertex will still create a new rectangle not a non-regular quadrilateral or a open wire.
LindaPeterson wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:03 pm For instance, I create a rectangle and then I'd like to move one one vertex of it to a different location (while keeping the lines).
when I first read that I thought she meant more like moving a point so as to produce a non-regular quadrilateral, like a rectangle but with not all corners at 90 degrees.

Linda, I personally tend to use sketches for Arch rather than Draft objects because they are, for me at least, easier to define but that also depends on what you are accustomed to using. I think Yorik prefers Draft objects and since he wrote both Draft and Arch workbenches, his opinion would likely be more informed. Also I think Yorik started Draft WB before Sketcher workbench existed.

Jim
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jmaustpc wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:53 pm I think he means that its not lines, its a rectangle object. So moving one vertex will still create a new rectangle not a non-regular quadrilateral or a open wire.
Ah, yes that makes sense.

Sorry DeepSOIC! :oops: