Annoying text box issue

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abowers

Re: Annoying text box issue

Post by abowers »

1. I wasn't trying to directly attach images because most of the forums I use require external hosting, it's unusual for me to encounter a forum that prefers direct attachment.

2. I don't care about where the discard/ok buttons pop up, that's fine. The issue looks like this:
overtyping.png
overtyping.png (13 KiB) Viewed 962 times
3. FreeCAD does still function with that bug in place, but it's enough of a problem to where I'll just boot into Windows and use Fusion360, or simply not do my project.

Perhaps the design of the constraint dialog is inherently flawed and should be altered?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

abowers wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:09 pm The issue looks like this:
As the screenshot I posted shows, at least for me the Expressions fields are opaque, they are not see through. This is a new one. Now I understand your problem.

abowers wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:09 pm Perhaps the design of the constraint dialog is inherently flawed and should be altered?
I did inquire in the other topic. wmayer is one of the main FreeCAD devs. What I suspect is it may be a Qt issue over which the FreeCAD devs have no control. I hope it's not the case.
abowers

Post by abowers »

My thought is, does the expression field need to pop out and overlap with the value field? Why not just stack them vertically?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wmayer replied in the other topic and provided the solution.

Please try it and report here if it fixes it for you:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 71#p284277

This should give you this:
abowers

Post by abowers »

That looks ideal; I'll try it out tomorrow and see if it works.
abowers

Post by abowers »

So get this: It's suddenly working correctly now, and I'm not sure why.

I've been busy throwing dead people's stuff away since last I messed with this. I get some spare time, and I got to playing with Flatpak. I pull down a few things to take a look at them, and I notice FreeCAD in there. I say "Let's see if it works in the Flatpak version. Sure enough it works correctly, no overlapping text. Then I say "Okay, it's obviously not picking up the theme from my desktop the way the appimage does, so let's go look at that. I launch the appimage I had been using, and it suddenly behaves correctly.

One thing does occur to me: I saw that issue when plugged into my docking station and running dual monitors. It works fine when I'm using my laptop with it's internal monitor. It's also raining outside today, and it was clear out last time...I dunno.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

But did you apply the fix I mentioned? This makes the formula editor into a real window, I think it should be default.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks Werner, sorry for not managing to write that ticket...