New user observations & guidance request

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: New user observations & guidance request

Post by chrisb »

Have not much time now, but until I come back you can check v0.18 and remove from your post the requests that have already been implemented.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

usertogo wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:13 pm Suggestion: Sketch Solver in PartDesign Workbench: Why not instead of going into shock on 'redundant Constraint' (with blocking normal operation and obligatory click here to highlight them) just add a statusFlag (redundant/conflicting/ok) in the constraint list that is always shown. Also I am not sure if there are setting that I could modify to improve the findability of which constraint is which in the actual sketch... I suppose highlighting/coloring redundant or conflicting constraints in the sketch would also be very desirable...
Oh in the sketch The color of everything changes to green when all is 100% defined, is that not possible to do earlier to make it easier to create color distinction for any still floating geometry?
Did you not read my response in

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 09#p281115

or did you not believe it?

You participated in that discussion, so I am guessing that you simply do not believe my example is true. :?

Gene
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:13 pm That's right, if a body is hidden the sketches inside are hidden as well, even in edit mode, which I feel as well is a bit cumbersome.
The visibility automation is sometimes a bit heavy-handed, I suppose in the interest of preventing folks from messing up their models.

I sometimes need to go into the View >> Visibility menu and select "Show all objects". This always works when toggling the space bar is ineffective. Bit of a nuisance because there are way too many things showing, including all sketches and all origins, but it works to unclog the visibility automation.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

usertogo wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:13 pm Also I am not sure if there are setting that I could modify to improve the findability of which constraint is which in the actual sketch.
You can select the elements associated with the constraints.
I suppose highlighting/coloring redundant or conflicting constraints in the sketch would also be very desirable.
They change color when they are selected via the solver message link.
Oh in the sketch The color of everything changes to green when all is 100% defined, is that not possible to do earlier to make it easier to create color distinction for any still floating geometry?
Gene has already commented on this, and I am not a big fan of too much automatism in that area either, because it leads in the wrong direction: The solver can only detect a whole set of unconstrained elements, but it has, of course, absolutely no idea of the user's ideas and strategy. As a last resort to find the missing constraints this is brilliant, but as a continuous constraining aid there are only two things that really help: exercise and experience
aditional Bonus: mirror sketch elements: draw half plus construction line select and be done... (low priority ...)
exists
-Big (probably known) problem report on changing early sketches - how to prevent that that totally messes up later following features?
very well known, and I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned in one of the other topics you participated and I'm absolutely sure it has been mentioned since you are active here in the forum. So please make your homework and read about the "topological naming issue"

completely different subject - who would like join forces to initiate a crowdfunding campaign to invest in FreeCAD development?
If you mean with "invest" to collect money to pay for some development, I would support it (there are other topic about this). If "invest" means that you are expecting some financial return in the sense of investment, then I'm absolutely against it!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
usertogo

Post by usertogo »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:13 pm
usertogo wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:13 pm completely different subject - who would like join forces to initiate a crowdfunding campaign to invest in FreeCAD development?
If you mean with "invest" to collect money to pay for some development, I would support it (there are other topic about this). If "invest" means that you are expecting some financial return in the sense of investment, then I'm absolutely against it!
Of course I am talking about a way that crowdfunding is used to make people aware of the existence of the program, and trying to find some incentives to pledge, even though it remains completely open...

Here are my latest observation backed up from the chat (thanks for commenting/forwarding the previous!)

Tried to create a Datum Point by the means of 3 perpendicular planes - that seems to be not supported only selectable option is 'Center of Mass' and 'Deactivated' seems like nobody thought about that intersection of 3 planes/surfaces?
Normal projection of one point on another plane also not available to create a Datum Point

Is reordering of design tree elements at all supported?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

usertogo wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:56 am Is reordering of design tree elements at all supported?
Inside of an active body you can reorder the elements with the right mouse menu. Outside of a body you can replace an object inside of e.g. a boolean in OpenSCAD workbench (cannot look it up currently).