how to trim two intersecting lines?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
deostroll

how to trim two intersecting lines?

Post by deostroll »

I am unable to trim the two intersecting white lines. Also sharing the project file. The figure concerned is in the sketch001. Hoping someone can guide me.

Attachments
holder3.fcstd
(14.3 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: how to trim two intersecting lines?

Post by NormandC »

Hello deostroll,

Welcome to the forum.

That one had me scratch my head for a few minutes! I'm guessing that you tried to trim the lines with the Image Sketcher Trimming tool with no effect. I'm also guessing that you do not have the report view open as it's not visible by default (you can enable it from the View --> Panels menu, it will appear at the bottom of FreeCAD's window). The report view prints out messages and errors. When I try to use the trim tool on either of the white lines, the report view says Failed to trim edge: Unknown C++ exception.

After trying to delete existing constraints and construction geometry (to no avail), I finally found that this error is caused by the Grid snap setting. In the "Edit controls" widget in the Tasks tab, uncheck it, and trimming will work. I wonder if we shouldn't report this as a bug.

About grid snap, allow me to give you my opinion :D : to me, it is an abomination. It gives you the false impression that your geometry is locked in place, when it is not. Only with use of geometric and dimensional constraints can you really lock geometry in place.

Would you be willing to accept some more sketching advice?

Cheers,

Normand
deostroll

Post by deostroll »

Nope. I have set the grid snap. But it did not work. The report view still shows the error you've mentioned. However, in another project, I draw two intersecting lines via sketcher, I am able to trim those...

There is more to this than meets the :shock:
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Hi deostroll, and welcome!

NormandC wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:45 pm I finally found that this error is caused by the Grid snap setting. In the "Edit controls" widget in the Tasks tab, uncheck it, and trimming will work.
deostroll wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:18 am There is more to this than meets the :shock:
I can Trim even if Grid Snap is ticked to True. What happens for both of you if you first go to the Draft WB and click the Draft Snap Toolbar > Lock icon so that all Snaps are off (Lock icon is turquoise and all Snap icons are greyed out)?

I'm using:

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.18.15441 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c43adafb127f1238bedcb0d2033be3e9e8f7494e
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
You abuse construction features (blue) and isolated points
I trace you sketch using the constraints of tangency and range of 62 ° relative to X
In skit 001, if the objective and "Trim so that the 2 segments have the same origin, it is not necessary that the side" Trim have a constraint of construction, Here again all the blue lines are useless
Attachments
holder3-1.FCStd
(15.13 KiB) Downloaded 15 times