Another contraint problem...

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Stou

Re: Another contraint problem...

Post by Stou »

Chrisb, I have a project to build a custom air filter box for a 4 cylinders motorcycle. I have a metal lathe and a milling machine, so I make some motorcycle parts for my projects. The part I want to do is a multiples pieces part.

So I need to do 4 intake pieces, a back where the 4 intake will be fixed, a cover and a small piece to hold together the cover and the back. There will be a stainless steel mesh that will go in a groove around the cover and the back.

I can do that in simple 2D design but I use this project to familiarize myself with FreeCAD. This part is a personal project, so I can take my time. Later once I will be comfortable with FreeCAD, I will buy a 3D printer to do small ABS parts.

Right now I have done the INTAKE part. The cover is almost completed but I have problem to do the small groove where the mesh will be holded inside the cover.

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For the small groove you create a sketch containing two slots with a distance of the size of the groove. Then you can make a pocket from that sketch. If you don't succeed, upload your model as far as it is now.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Stou

Post by Stou »

Yes Chris, this is exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm almost there. I'll work on that later and if I got stuck for too long, I'll let you know.

Thank's!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Bienvenue sur le forum / Welcome to the forum, Stou! As far as I know, you're only the second self-declared Quebecker here.

I lived in Montréal for 20 years before relocating to Quebec City. It's been almost 11 years, and I can't say that I miss the traffic! :D
Stou

Post by Stou »

Chris, I got it. The problem was that I needed to create a new sketch on the other side of my part (180°)

Salut Normand! I know what you mean with the Montreal traffic, I worked as a IT computer programming and analyst in down town Montreal for 32 years! Now I'm retired and I don't miss Montreal traffic at all!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Stou wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:50 pm Chris, I got it. The problem was that I needed to create a new sketch on the other side of my part (180°)
God to see that. It's great to get help here in the forum, but it's greater to have the full success yourself.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Stou

Post by Stou »

I finally completed my part design. I used ASSEMBLY2 to put the pieces together. The only thing I didn't figured yet, is how to put a mesh texture on the middle part. I saw something about a macro to do that but I didn't found the macro yet.

I ordered a 3D printer today. It will not be big enough to 3D print all the parts because the bigger part is 315mm long and the printer can do 220mm max. I will do a smaller 2 cylinder version just to play with the 3D printer. Anyway, I will do the part in aluminium on my milling and lathe.

If you have any link on how to do the stainless steel mesh texture, I will be happy to look at it.