unwrapping mesh

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
looo
Veteran

Re: unwrapping mesh

Post by looo »

The simplest way is to learn how to use conda. I provide weekly builds for osx, linux and windows. @sgrogan does builds with conda-dependencies to make it easy to get freecad on windows (simple download).
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:32 am I am not sure why it is not included. All packages I create have it enabled. So maybe @sgrogan doesn't build with pybind11...
This is a packaging error I guess, it should be there. I will look.

EDIT: Somehow FlatMesh got disabled. Building now.
BTW: wmayer ported this to use boost-python so it should be working on the PPA as well.

EDIT2:
DDM wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:19 am Should I create a post in "open discussion"? What do you think?
There is a RC3 version here:https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.18 where this should be fixed.

@looo, because this also works with boost-python which is already required for the area module, what to you think of making BUILD_FLAT_MESH=TRUE the default?
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

No with boost not everything works, if I remember correctly. Boost python has no easy to use numpy converter...
In the long run I guess pybind11 is the nicer dependency as it is header only...
DDM

Post by DDM »

Thanks @Sgrogan, @Looo

The unwrap work perfectly... :)
Here attached a test. A ruled surface with a hole...

Thanks....Marco
Attachments
Unwrap_Test.FCStd
(526.61 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

DDM wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:37 pm Thanks @Sgrogan, @Looo
Thanks @DDM for testing. This build is a candidate for the official FreeCAD release, so please report anything abnormal!
"fight the good fight"
felix_fuchs

Post by felix_fuchs »

I'm using FreeCAD Version 0.18.4, as below:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

My build does not have menu "Unwrap Mesh". My first question is, is it normal by my version? My second question is, if this build does not have "Unwrap Mesh" by default, how can I rebuild it on my computer with this menu?
123th

Post by 123th »

Hello. I don't know English well and it's hard for me to navigate the forum. I hope I am writing in a suitable topic and do not break the rules.

I ran into the problem of the lack of an available build in which function of unfolding the mesh exist.
I am working on a win 10 x32 system. and the latest available version for me is 0.18.4.980bf90
but I borrowed a laptop with a win 10 x64 system and installed version 0.19.2.7b5e18a
(both versions were downloaded from the links from the official site)
and as it turned out, nowhere the mesh unwrap function presented :shock:
I also couldn't find a previous version (x32) where this feature is guaranteed to exist.
(as a regular user I can only use the self-executing versions or the portable ones.)

I tried to create unfold through a sheet metal workbench, but there are other problems. as a result, none of these methods are available to me. I did not expect to face such a problem, to be honest...
if it's not difficult for you - can you give me a link to the x32 version with a working unfold mesh function please?
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Should be there since 0.19: MeshPart_CreateFlatMesh

And you should've opened a new thread for this...
rek

Post by rek »

M4x wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:14 pm Should be there since 0.19: MeshPart_CreateFlatMesh

Interesting feature. but i don't see that option in the meshes menu. FreeCAD 0.19

no mention is made of any special 'conda' or 'pybind' versions of FreeCAD at the documentation page. are they a requirement as others have mentioned?
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

rek wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:51 am
M4x wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:14 pm Should be there since 0.19: MeshPart_CreateFlatMesh

Interesting feature. but i don't see that option in the meshes menu. FreeCAD 0.19

no mention is made of any special 'conda' or 'pybind' versions of FreeCAD at the documentation page. are they a requirement as others have mentioned?
Are using a self compiled version of freecad? If you compile yourself you need to enable this cmake-option: BUILD_FLAT_MESH:BOOL=ON I guess using boost.python instead of pybind11 shouldn't be an issue anymore.