'BRep_API: command not done' with thickness

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Re: 'BRep_API: command not done' with thickness

Post by freedman »

Kind of odd, if I select and space-bar the broken thickness feature the object spins 90 degrees and the thickness appears. That looks like some kind of corruption of a plane, or maybe just a misunderstanding. :)
aron

Post by aron »

This is an artefact-solid which is still stored from copying the part before changing the sketch-plane from XY to XZ. That is also why if flips 90°. When you delete it and try to recreate the shelling ("Thickening") then the creation fails with the error 'BRep_API: command not done'. ;)
BartOostlander

Post by BartOostlander »

phil16 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:39 am Thanks for the tip... I'll make a note to not expect that to work in the future. (though I could have sworn I saw a youtube video that did just this and it worked... must have been a different sequence of steps)

Since you ask, what I was expecting it to do was skin the entire part and remove just the surface I selected. My expectation wasn't based on anything other than 'intuitively, this is what I think it should do'... but the BRep_API error told me nothing about what the actual issue was. I've got to say that the unhelpful error messages have to be the single biggest pain point for me in FreeCAD. It's fine that something doesn't work/isn't supported (OK, not fine but at least understandable) but please tell me what the issue/limitation is. Even if it's just a url to read up on the specific issue/limit.

Sorry for a bit of a rant but I've spent two solid days over the last week trying to figure out how to use FreeCAD to design an enclosure and in each of the dozen or so ways I've tried to attack it I've run into one show-stopper after another so I back up try a different approach and *wham* etc. The one constant has been entirely unhelpful error messages.
Very intensely much agreed. I can tell by looking at my vanished model that something is wrong. "Command not done" must be the absolute universal winner of useless error messages ever in the history of software. And I'm a Software Architect. I have seen some bad things, but this error message is the winner. CAN WE PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT??
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

If you have a reproducible scenario you can create a GitHub issue.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues