Fillet BRep_API: command not done

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Stou

Fillet BRep_API: command not done

Post by Stou »

I did a 2D sketch and import it in FreeCAD. It gived me a BezCurve. Then I extruded it and I had Extrude and Extrude001. I selected a edge and did a fillet. I don't see any error in the Python console but I have an error at the Fillet in the combo view. BRep_API: command not done. As you can see, I did the Fillet on the Extrude object. If I try it on Extrude001 object, it delete or cut completely the object.

I did a search for this command not done problem. I found many but not this situation with BezCurves.

If I do a draft over the part and extrude it, then I can do the fillet but if I tried from an extruded BezCurve, it doesn't work.

Python console:

>>> FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.addObject("Part::Fillet","Fillet")
>>> FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.Fillet.Base = FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.Extrude
>>> __fillets__ = []
>>> __fillets__.append((10,1.00,1.00))
>>> FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.Fillet.Edges = __fillets__
>>> del __fillets__
>>> FreeCADGui.ActiveDocument.Extrude.Visibility = False
>>>
>>> Gui.ActiveDocument.Fillet.LineColor=Gui.ActiveDocument.Extrude.LineColor
>>> Gui.ActiveDocument.Fillet.PointColor=Gui.ActiveDocument.Extrude.PointColor
>>> Gui.activeDocument().resetEdit()

Also, why I get 2 Extruded objects when I extrude a BezCurve? It doesn't do that if I extrude from a Drafted object (DWire)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: French/Canada (fr_CA)
Attachments
TestV01.FCStd
(10.99 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Fillet BRep_API: command not done

Post by GeneFC »

The fillet operation sometimes adds contiguous edges that are smoothly connected to the selected edge. I believe that is what is happening here.

The problem when this selection expansion occurs is that some difficult fillet locations are also selected, such as a sharp point. The fillet operation then fails because the fillet would overlap itself at the point.

I cut the fillet down from 1 mm to 0.25 mm and it works OK, but with more than just the selected edge.

One way to defeat the automatic selection expansion is to make a very slight jog in the edge at the end of the desired fillet location. Not very convenient, however.

I do not know why you got a twin extrusion. I deleted your extrusions and then extruded the BezCurve. It worked as expected with a single extrusion. I would guess that you somehow hit enter or OK more than once.

Fillet.PNG
Fillet.PNG (19.98 KiB) Viewed 2782 times

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The double extrusion comes from a rather special behaviour of the Extrude dialog. Every apply creates a new object and the ok button adds a final one.
Most probably you clicked both of these buttons once.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:35 am The double extrusion comes from a rather special behaviour of the Extrude dialog. Every apply creates a new object and the ok button adds a final one.
That seems confusing, should that be the desired behavior? After clicking the Apply button once I don't think clicking the Ok button should create another Extrude.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I remember but cannot find a discussion about that. The argument was, that more than one object should be extruded with or equal different parameter settings. These objects should later be moved into position.

Things would be clearer if "Apply" was renamed to "Create" and "Ok" to "Create + Close".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Stou

Post by Stou »

About the double extrusion, you are right chrisb, I did the APPLY and after that OK. If I do APPLY and CLOSE, I get only one extrusion.

I did some tests with Fillet and it work if I do it with less than 1,00mm. I tried many size under 1,00mm and they all work up to 0,99mm. But as soon as I go over 0,99mm it doesn't work. Yesterday while doing some tests at 1,00mm, at one time it worked but I don't know why. After I was unable to do it again at 1,00mm. Also, it work on some edges but not on other if I do a simple edge and depending on the parts on which I try to do Fillet, sometime it doesn't work at all and the part disapear when I do the fillet. Kind of stramge behavior.

The part I want to do is a motorcycle clutch and brake levers. I want to 3D print it in ABS. I draw it in Corel Draw and import it in FreeCAD. If I want to redraw it in FreeCAD in order to do Fillet like I want, what is the best way to do it? Sketch or Draft, I tried some things in both WB but I don't really see wich is the best way to do it.

Heres the part I want to do with some Fillet:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I guess that there are some fillets "consuming" the whole adjacent face, which you can easily see at 0.99 mm. It is not possible to get further. For more details upload your model.

Besides: for a clutch it might work but I would never ever use a break handle made from self printed ABS, probably not from ABS at all. On the other side, doing so you don't need a bike with much power to get this thrill of going faster than you ever should, not knowing if this is the end or not ...
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Stou wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:21 pm I did some tests with Fillet and it work if I do it with less than 1,00mm. I tried many size under 1,00mm and they all work up to 0,99mm. But as soon as I go over 0,99mm it doesn't work. Yesterday while doing some tests at 1,00mm, at one time it worked but I don't know why. After I was unable to do it again at 1,00mm. Also, it work on some edges but not on other if I do a simple edge and depending on the parts on which I try to do Fillet, sometime it doesn't work at all and the part disapear when I do the fillet. Kind of stramge behavior.
As chrisb explained, you probably have a 1mm-height face adjacent to your fillet edge. Applying a 1mm fillet in such condition vanishes the face, which is not supported and generates errors and strange displays. ;)
The part I want to do is a motorcycle clutch and brake levers. I want to 3D print it in ABS. I draw it in Corel Draw and import it in FreeCAD. If I want to redraw it in FreeCAD in order to do Fillet like I want, what is the best way to do it? Sketch or Draft, I tried some things in both WB but I don't really see wich is the best way to do it.
I would redesign from scratch using PartDesign workbench (i.e. using sketches) but it may depend on what modeling method you're familiar with.
I'm also gonna join chrisb in fact that I would never use an ABS printed clutch/brake lever (whatever could be the printing technology) for any serious purpose (i.e. any other purpose than ornamentation...). There are some web services able to print in metal, but price will probably exceed the one of a commercial part. ;)
I'm also surprised by the cable output direction. I would expect it to be tangential to spinning direction, not radial. As it is done, I guess it will shear the cable and not be very efficient at pulling it.
Stou

Post by Stou »

Here's the model I work on it. Openbrain, you are right about the cable direction. I didn't done the hole for the cable yet. I'm strugling with that too. I did a sketch to use for the extrusion for the cable path, but when I do the extrusion, it do only the edge of the object. I'm new to FreeCAD, so maybe it's not the right way to do it.

Chrisb, you are right about the strenght of the lever. But this is not for my sport bike, only for my trial bike. And it is more to get familiar with FreeCad and my 3D printer. I can even do that on my milling, but at the price it cost to buy an aftermarket lever, that does not worth it.
Attachments
ClutchLeverTLR.FCStd
(41.71 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Stou

Post by Stou »

I think that the problem with the sketch for the cable hole it's because me sketch is not completely contrained.