Sketcher Ticket #3793 - Reference Constraints toggle to driving on edit

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hatari

Re: Sketcher - Reference Constraints toggle to driving on edit

Postby hatari » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:19 pm

If it really is a feature, I would be very curious about its benefit..
chrisb wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:32 pm
This behaviour is indeed a bit confusing. You can label the blue reference constraints with the right click menu in the constraints list in the panel.
Thanks a lot, Chris, this workaround is very helpful!
bejant

Postby bejant » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:59 pm

I think this behavior came about because at first it wasn't possible to edit a blue Constraint at all; the user first had to change it to a regular (driving, red) Constraint and then change the numerical value. After blue Constraints were introduced there was a discussion to the effect that when someone wanted to edit the numerical value of a blue Constraint, the user therefore wanted that Constraint to be a driving (red) Constraint. So, as a time-saver, editing the number value of a blue Constraint caused that Constraint to become a driving (red) Constraint.

I think the bug is that editing the Name of a blue Constraint, so that it can be used in a Spreadsheet / Expression, also changes the Constraint to red. Instead, a blue Constraint should only become red if the Length / Angle field is edited.

This recollection is all from memory; I think Abdullah or maybe Normand will be able to provide more input.
abdullah

Postby abdullah » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:09 pm

bejant wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:59 pm
I think the bug is that editing the Name of a blue Constraint, so that it can be used in a Spreadsheet / Expression, also changes the Constraint to red. Instead, a blue Constraint should only become red if the Length / Angle field is edited.

This recollection is all from memory; I think Abdullah or maybe Normand will be able to provide more input.
Your memory is perfect.

There is a very stubborn user that never names reference constraints and wants this behaviour of changing to driving. That user is me :D .

It should be possible to implement something as you describe. I see that there is from time to time a user complaining about this behaviour. So I think we should do something for v0.19. Do we have a ticket?
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:56 pm

abdullah wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:09 pm
Do we have a ticket?
Yes: issue #3793.
bejant

Postby bejant » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:20 pm

abdullah wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:09 pm