Just submitted PR 3201
to solve this.
Basically it adds a checkbox in the dimension edition dialog that shows/determines if the created/edited constraint is driving or driven (aka reference) one :
The new behavior is :
- If the value is changed, the constraint is automatically switched to driving
- If the constraint is set as driven, the value is reset to current one
- Constraint name can be freely edited without tampering the constraint driving/driven state (that was the main point)
- No live update, everything is updated when dialog is accepted (same as currently)
- When a driven (reference) constraint is created, the dialog isn't opened (same as currently). I had a doubt on that because probably someone that set a driven constraint want to name it so it can be reused. However this isn't a big deal to double-click on it to edit its name
EDIT : saw a small issue. When editing a driven constraint, then making it driving with the checkbox, it's not possible to enter an expression (works with a value). To enter an expression it is a 2 step process, first making it driving, then entering expression. Will have a look at this on tomorrow.