How to do a character (cartoon) in 3D

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: How to do a character (cartoon) in 3D

Post by NormandC »

Salut Stou,

I've meant to learn Blender for years... But while I'm experienced with CAD programs, Blender looks completely alien.

@ PrzemoF
Cool project! As for myself since I can't use Blender, I would have tried to do this entirely in FreeCAD. I think it would be doable. On the other hand, I just saw your post date (23-06-2013), it might have been more difficult back then!

I just opened your Blender file... I can't even rotate the model. :?
Stou

Post by Stou »

Salut Normand!

That's what I tought!

I will give a try but I am sure it will take time. I did the tutorial "Cup" in Blender. Everything went well but it's easy to follow a recipe. It's another story to create from scratch.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Thanks! Back then FreeCAD was much more limited. I wasn't completely happy with the shape, but the holder passed the test of time - I used it for 4 years. Today with CurvesWB and Silk I'd probably do it in FreeCAD

P.S. blender is well worth learning, but don't even try without a tutorial. I started with blended when I was using autocad & microstation as my arm extension ;) and I couldn't do anything usable in blender. Blended 2.80 demo, breathtaking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hGSDD9-Tkc
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Wow! Amazing how fast the person works (when creating instances). :shock:

The UI looks completely different to Blender 2.79! Are they redesigning the UI? It looks more like most programs UI, with a single menu at the top rather than multiple ones that are confusing as heck. :?

Oh yeah!
https://www.blender.org/2-8/
Blender 2.8 features a revamped user interface
Maybe that will allow me to finally try to learn it :D

Edit: left click select, box selection... All right!!! They finally comply to widely used UI/UX standards. :D

(See the video The 5 Things You Should Know About Blender 2.8 in the link above)
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

I've been using both Blender 2.80 and 2.79 for a couple of months and you're correct in saying the UI is better in 2.80 for people who have never used Blender before but, for those who have been using 2.79 and previous versions there are some 'where the xxxx have they moved yyyy to' moments.

So my workflow is FreeCAD > Blender 2.79, sort out all the lighting, materials, cameras etc > Blender 2.80 to do the rendering (2.80 has quicker Cycles rendering with no loss in quality). If photorealism isn't absolute top priority then in 2.80 EEVEE rendering can be used to produce something as good as this (definitely way superior than I can produce):

https://vimeo.com/309804208
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Syres wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:32 pm for those who have been using 2.79 and previous versions there are some 'where the xxxx have they moved yyyy to' moments.
It can't be as bad as the 2.4 --> 2.5 UI change, can it? :D

Rendering with open source software is a sore issue for me. I wish it could be as simple as commercial offerings like Luxion Keyshot. It does not get simpler than that, and it comes with default and sensible scenes and hundreds of materials, so you don't have to spend an insame amount of time to make your own or hunt down on the net...