How does one use shortcuts with more than one key (e.g. V,F for view->fit all)?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Junno

How does one use shortcuts with more than one key (e.g. V,F for view->fit all)?

Postby Junno » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:31 pm

I can't figure this one out. I see that this shortcut is listed as "V, F", but don't know how to actually invoke said shortcut. Obviously this applies to all such shortcuts, but I presume if I can get the one figured out that will plug the understanding hole I currently have.
Yinameah

Re: How does one use shortcuts with more than one key (e.g. V,F for view->fit all)?

Postby Yinameah » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:20 pm

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.

There is no real magic to that. Simply click on the two letters, one after another, in a reasonably short amount of time.

That being said, some shortcut can depend on the part of the application that currently has the focus. In case, make sure to click on the 3D view before, respectively on the model windows panel for some tools related shortcuts. And some shortcuts are workbench dependent, so pay attention to that too. (I mean the current used workbench)

For the Expand view command, I just checked in PartDesignWorkbench, in works for me no matter the panel that is selected.

Have fun with freeCAD
Junno

Re: How does one use shortcuts with more than one key (e.g. V,F for view->fit all)?

Postby Junno » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:13 pm

Okay, it appears that these combo shortcuts (one key followed by another) are entirely subservient to any other shortcut that uses the first key. For example, I can't use the default (V,F) shortcut in Sketcher, because V selects "Vertical Constraint". I can still use a shortcut to access this functionality by remapping it to another non-conflicting shortcut (e.g. ctrl+shift+f is unused by default and mapping Fit All to this allows me to use it in Sketcher with no issues). Will have to keep this in mind and probably rebind some shortcuts accordingly.

Thanks for getting me to the point where I could use the shortcut at all to make sure I was doing it correctly.
Junno

Postby Junno » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:48 pm

There are even some conflicts within the base shortcuts of the Sketcher workbench alone it seems. Example: Toggle construction geometry is "C, M", but I don't think this is ever actually a usable shortcut because "C" is the coincident constraint shortcut. Are these incompatible by default, is my understanding that the "Toggle construction geometry" feature is supposed to be part of the Sketcher workbench in error, or is there still another way to invoke these combo shortcuts and not trip over other, even defaultly-bound, shortcuts that happen to be the first key in the key combo?
triplus

Postby triplus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:55 pm

Yes, your discoveries are more or less accurate. Switching workbenches can and likely will introduce shortcuts ambiguity. If you are an avid shortcuts user you can try out the ShortCuts module:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p231862

From user point of view, there is already support for per-workbench shortcuts customization. That is you can for example have two commands, each using shortcut S. One for example being defined for Sketcher and the second one for Draft workbench command.

P.S. In the future i will add support for developers being able to predefine shortcuts in the same way.