Boolean Cuts moving body but not performing cut in Part Design

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NajeyRifai

Re: Boolean Cuts moving body but not performing cut in Part Design

Post by NajeyRifai »

chrisb wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:48 pm I would go a different way:
- Create a ShapeBinder of the chimney's Sketch007 in "Roof right"
- create a DatumPlane in the Sketch's plane (you can attach the following sketch directly if you prefer). This is what it looks like:Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-03 um 21.43.55.png
- attach a new sketch on the DatumPlane
- create a rectangle with the ShapeBinder as external reference
- make a pocket and set "Symmetric" and "Through all".
I left this project for a few days to prepare for some job interviews and just re-attempted it. You're either gonna have to explain it to me like I'm an idiot, or find someone who will, hahaha :lol: . But in seriousness, can you please explain this to me in a bit more detail, or point me towards a clear tutorial? I would greatly appreciate the help :) .
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I think this is dealt with in one of the tutorials of forum member HarryGeier. If not, come back, you will have learned something anyway.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

I think that there is a real bug somewhere here - PartDesigh boolean really acts weird. I tried just a simple cut of one cylinder with another cylinder - while the cut looks correct and changing the placement of the negative cylinder modifies the cut I can not make it or any of its sub elements visible for subsequent edit... I will probably make some experiments later...
PDWB boolean err.JPG
PDWB boolean err.JPG (89.82 KiB) Viewed 520 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Have you looked at the documentation before jumping to the (false) conclusion there's a supposed bug?

PartDesign Boolean

Look for the Display property entry.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kisolre wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:23 pm I tried just a simple cut of one cylinder with another cylinder
If this is not just for demonstration purposes but for a real model, then you should not make a cut anyway. You would use a subtractive cylinder instead. There are very few use cases where PartDesign's boolean operations are needed. All additvie features perform what in Part workbench would be a create and a fusion, while the subtractive features perform a create and a cut in one single step.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:35 pm There are very few use cases where PartDesign's boolean operations are needed.
+1 I really don't understand this recent rash of people who want to apply Booleans on separate Bodies.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

NormandC wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:57 pm
chrisb wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:35 pm There are very few use cases where PartDesign's boolean operations are needed.
+1 I really don't understand this recent rash of people who want to apply Booleans on separate Bodies.
Text engraving, designing a holder for already designed item,...
I dont really see the need for that setting (so at first glance it looks like an err) - as with all other features you just hide the underlying sketches so why not just hide the bodies but don't disable their visibility? Probably there is a good reason.

Anyway it looks that the OP is hitting the second limitation mentioned on that page - moving the body from 0,0,0 before performing the cut.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

kisolre wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:16 pm Text engraving
Assuming we're talking about engraving on a flat face, then no second Body is necessary. Create a Draft ShapeString, drag and drop it over your Body, attach it to the face you want, then create a Pocket. Bam! you're done. ;)

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 65#p271565

In the case of a logo imported as SVG, I'd have to check, I doubt the imported geometry could be dragged & dropped in a Body, but what could be done is to convert it to a sketch with the Draft Draft2Sketch tool, and move the sketch inside the Body.

kisolre wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:16 pm designing a holder for already designed item,...
Okay, fine. :D Please let me amend what I said: yes, there are use case where a Boolean between different bodies will be necessary. But in most topics that have been posted so far, it wasn't necessary to use two (or more) bodies. The overwhelming majority of cases, a single-body approach works and is simpler.

kisolre wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:16 pm I dont really see the need for that setting (so at first glance it looks like an err) - as with all other features you just hide the underlying sketches so why not just hide the bodies but don't disable their visibility? Probably there is a good reason.
This was discussed on the forum by the developer, but I don't recall the gist of it. It's definitely a usability issue.

kisolre wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:16 pm Anyway it looks that the OP is hitting the second limitation mentioned on that page - moving the body from 0,0,0 before performing the cut.
As I already replied in the first page of this topic. :geek: ;)