Helix subtractive pipe problem

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Helix subtractive pipe problem

Post by NormandC »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 am to my experience, the vast majority doing CAD at work knows English. Therefore this is not that pressing in my opinion.
That's where you're mistaken: FreeCAD is not intended solely for experienced CAD users. Every day on the forum we see newcomers with no CAD experience, who want to do personal projects (and sometimes work projects). And they don't have all mastery of English.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

That's what I see here as well. There is quite a lot of people not speaking english, many of them being retired now, who have worked with one of the big professional systems and are now looking for something better; at least as far as the cost side is concerned.
Usually I would say they should do it themselves and document it on the wiki, but in this case the people who need it are unable to do it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ferdymercury

Post by ferdymercury »

Hi there,
I have a related problem and though some of you might have some advice.

I have a sketch that I sweep through a helical path. (additive pipe). Then, I cut the result with two planes (subtractive pipe) so that the top and bottom faces are flat.

Depending on the height of the helix, the result sometimes works, or sometimes it shows artefacts. Any ideas why this is happening or what tricks I could use as workaround?

I attached the Freecad file, that is working for NTurns = 6
I use the latest 0.19 AppImage (from yesterday).

If I edit the spreadsheet and set NTurns=7, then on SubtractivePipe001 I replace Edge83 with Edge99, I do not get a good result. Attached are the artefacts.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
7mm.png
7mm.png (26.05 KiB) Viewed 724 times
6mm.png
6mm.png (35.87 KiB) Viewed 724 times
ThreadCalculator.FCStd
(723.4 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

ferdymercury wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:48 pm Thanks in advance!
This is not how you should make that thread. Please make your body transparent to see all the internal faces generated. Also please dont necrobump threads unless it is the same exact issue. Better create a new thread and reference the old one from there.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

As you bumped an old topic: did you read the thread for screws tutorial mentioned above with all the advice what to avoid?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ferdymercury

Post by ferdymercury »

I moved the discussion here as suggested:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?p=445592