BRep_API: command not done - When doing a thickness

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: BRep_API: command not done - When doing a thickness

Post by openBrain »

Another example in your "bottomBodyEdge" sketch. The top line suffer the same issue as above.
It's a bit different for the left line. Here the 2 endpoints are set coincident to external geometry points, but the line is also set as vertical. This is indeed redundant as fixing the endpoints to external points is enough to fully define the line. I should even say that solver is good-tempered, because in your case the 2 points are vertically aligned but they could not be (and in this case this is definitely over-constraining) ;)

Hope it helps

BTW, I think I found a bug in the sketcher. In the "bottomBodyEdge" sketch, if I select in the combo view the constraint #10 or #11, it highlights the linked corner point, but also the centre point (axis intersection) !!! It tends to show that the constraint is set between corner point and centre point while it absolutely isn't. The constraint is actually set with an underneath point from external geometry.
May someone confirm this issue ?

--- FC info ---
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15780 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: f94e76c1116ec3b818961ff65131b3d86fa5b95e
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
Tinkefu

Post by Tinkefu »

openBrain wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:31 pm Another example in your "bottomBodyEdge" sketch. The top line suffer the same issue as above.
It's a bit different for the left line. Here the 2 endpoints are set coincident to external geometry points, but the line is also set as vertical. This is indeed redundant as fixing the endpoints to external points is enough to fully define the line. I should even say that solver is good-tempered, because in your case the 2 points are vertically aligned but they could not be (and in this case this is definitely over-constraining) ;)

Hope it helps
Thank you for the info. I'm going to have to play around with this. I won't lie I'm still confused. I understand your point but I guess I don't understand due to the fact that when I make a sketch I constrain until I get to 0. There are no errors etc. I have seen that error when I do something wrong, where it tells you "over constrained, delete one of these .... ".

Again this is my first CAD experience so I'm learning as I go.

Thanks again
It's tabs, not spaces.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Maybe the reason there is that FC 0.18 sketcher's solver is (AFAIK) far better at finding redundant/over constraints.
I'm sure you'll soon find yourself in the world of constraining. :)
Maybe you could have a look at chrisb's Sketcher tutorial ;)
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

openBrain wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:31 pm BTW, I think I found a bug in the sketcher. In the "bottomBodyEdge" sketch, if I select in the combo view the constraint #10 or #11, it highlights the linked corner point, but also the centre point (axis intersection) !!! It tends to show that the constraint is set between corner point and centre point while it absolutely isn't. The constraint is actually set with an underneath point from external geometry.
May someone confirm this issue ?
Confirmed using:

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.18.15780 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: f94e76c1116ec3b818961ff65131b3d86fa5b95e
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This sketch has a certain error history, i.e. it was built in 0.17 and when an error occured (the first redundancy) it was not repaired but editing continued with even more errors.
I have seen Sketcher showing weird things when this happens. I wonder if this would happen with a pure 0.18 sketch too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.