Preferences dialog too big

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kisolre
Veteran

Preferences dialog too big

Post by kisolre »

On my laptop with 1920x1080 display the Preferences dialog does not fit vertically in the screen:
Preferences dialog.JPG
Preferences dialog.JPG (115.6 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
It is possible to resize it horizontally down to some fixed size but the vertical size always makes it bigger than the screen. So the Ok/Cancel/Apply buttons are almost not visible. Is it some limitation to the dialog, a hard coded minimal height or just some setting that I am missing?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15694 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 96dee91d5e7d7fd37f43a4dcf406a120ae1f1b8a
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Bulgarian/Bulgaria (bg_BG)
Bance
Veteran

Re: Preferences dialog too big

Post by Bance »

+1

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15697 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: dedaa807629ab25cf32977d30bf7610f1346aff7
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The dialog normally has a max height that is the height of the available desktop area minus 30 pixels: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... p.cpp#L327

But indeed if the preferences window is a bit lower, the bottom part goes below the bottom edge. I wonder if we shouldn't change that to something like: starting at max. 80% of the screen height and centered on screen... Another maybe good option would be not consider the desktop size but the size of the freecad window.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

yorik wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:54 pm I wonder if we shouldn't change that to something like: starting at max. 80% of the screen height and centered on screen... Another maybe good option would be not consider the desktop size but the size of the freecad window.
+1 for 80% of FreeCAD window height. A scroll bar on the side would probably be Ok too.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

yorik wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:54 pm The dialog normally has a max height that is the height of the available desktop area minus 30 pixels: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... p.cpp#L327

But indeed if the preferences window is a bit lower, the bottom part goes below the bottom edge. I wonder if we shouldn't change that to something like: starting at max. 80% of the screen height and centered on screen... Another maybe good option would be not consider the desktop size but the size of the freecad window.
Something should not work as expected. On my (poor) 1366x768 display, the preferences window is displayed snapped to the top of the screen, but there is something like 1/4 to 1/3 of the window that is rendered off-screen at the bottom. Most of time I just maximize the window on the screen. It's enough so the widget layout is recomputed, scrollbars appear and OK/Cancel buttons are back on the visible area. ;)
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

yorik wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:54 pm The dialog normally has a max height that is the height of the available desktop area minus 30 pixels: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... p.cpp#L327

The dialog is actually as high as it will go. If I try to drag the whole window by dragging from the lowest part of the title bar upwards as soon as I release the mouse it pops back inside the screen touching the top. When I try to resize from the top border the dialogs starts to move down even without me moving the mouse. Something is quite wrong...
I made a video but I dont know where to post it...
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

For me the window renders below the title bar thus the buttons are off screen.

+1 for 80%
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

I also vote to reduce the size.
A scrollbar should appear if the dialog window is too large for the screen. I am not sure but I think Qt offers this feature.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Should I make a Bug report or a Feature request for this? Today it was even more problematic. Since I have Windows Taskbar set to Autohide but it does not hide if something requires attention I had to click through all the windows to find the one preventing the hiding to be able to click on the buttons in the dialog.
EqtOS2ZY66.png
EqtOS2ZY66.png (81.14 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I think it's a feature request as long as you can somehow reachthe buttons. If it's not the case, e.g. on lower resolution, it's a bug report.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.