question about fusion

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chhene

question about fusion

Post by chhene »

I made a cube, then I made a second identical cube, raised it up, and rotated it. I then fused the two cubes together. Now I want to put a hole through the side of the rotated cube, highlighted in green in the attached image, Sample.png. For some reason it won't let me do it. When I click the side to highlight it and then click the "Map a sketch to a face" icon it doesn't do it, but instead pops up a window asking me about sketches. Why isn't this working and how do I do it? This is a simpler example to a more complicated part that has this same dilemma.
Attachments
Sample.png
Sample.png (135.99 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Bance
Veteran

Re: question about fusion

Post by Bance »

Double click the body to make it active.... should work then.
Map sketch to face is for relocating an existing sketch.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

hi
click On the top of the 1st cube place there the 2cd, on the face to be pierced, idem, and you can see through the hexagonal hole that the set makes only one volume
Attachments
bicube.PNG
bicube.PNG (23.79 KiB) Viewed 539 times
bicube.FCStd
(38.05 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
chhene

Post by chhene »

Nope. Bance, your solution isn't working for me. I double clicked under "Labels & Attributes" the body called "Body" this activated it and it was highlighted blue. But then when I click the side face and click the "Map sketch to a face" icon it still doesn't work. Instead a box opens up saying "Select a sketch from the list". The same happens if I double clicked "Body001" instead.

With regards to meme2704's post. Yes, this is essentially what I want to do. But I don't understand step by step how to do it. When I click on the face of the 1st cube and click the "Map sketch to a face" icon I get the same result.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chhene wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:06 pm I made a cube, then I made a second identical cube, raised it up, and rotated it. I then fused the two cubes together. Now I want to put a hole through the side of the rotated cube, highlighted in green in the attached image, Sample.png. For some reason it won't let me do it. When I click the side to highlight it and then click the "Map a sketch to a face" icon it doesn't do it, but instead pops up a window asking me about sketches. Why isn't this working and how do I do it? This is a simpler example to a more complicated part that has this same dilemma.
That's how the "Map a sketch to a face" works. This functions maps an existing sketch to the selected face. That' why you get the popup windows. To draw a sketch attached to a face, just select the face and click on the "New sketch" button.
In your example case, there is a limitation as fusion creates a new object out of a body. Thus you can't really work with PartDesign features there.
It would be better to edit the body corresponding to the holed cube and add a Pocket to it. ;)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chhene wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:06 pm I made a cube, then I made a second identical cube, raised it up, and rotated it. I then fused the two cubes together.
Why are you creating two separate Bodies, if you want to fuse them? Add the second Pad directly into the first body. This will automatically fuse them. Anything added inside a single Body gets fused/cut wether it's an additive or subtractive feature.