Rotating text around the inside of a cylinder

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Snoopey

Rotating text around the inside of a cylinder

Post by Snoopey »

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to FreeCAD and 3d modelling in general.

I'm trying to add a company logo on the inside of a cylinder, so that each letter of the logo is at a normal to the face of the cylinder.
I've managed to roughly do this manually, by loading in an SVG, extruding, and then editing the angles and position of each letter. But I'm a bit of a noob, so everything looks a bit janky.

Is there a tool that will allow me to place each letter at exactly the same point on the surface of the cylinder (I know the radius by checking with work features), and then rotating about the axis of the cylinder?

It seems like when I do rotations, the letters are being rotated around a different axis to the center of the cylinder, making it very difficult to make things look good.

Here's what I've gotten so far:
logo-in-cylinder.PNG
logo-in-cylinder.PNG (300.58 KiB) Viewed 386 times
Any help would be REALLY appreciated, I've been at this for hours and hours. Having fun, but definitely banging my head against my desk a lot :lol:
meme2704
Veteran

Re: Rotating text around the inside of a cylinder

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
To go faster, you can cut the word by a pipe of the outer diameter to the surface where to stick it and of the thickness equal to the height of the letters then you make a common
Attachments
sfizzi.PNG
sfizzi.PNG (40.26 KiB) Viewed 377 times
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

If you familiar with compiling FreeCAD e.g. on Linux you can try this....

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33700
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

You can try the macro Circular text, for info see https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Macro_Circular_Text
Snoopey

Post by Snoopey »

I ended up using Edit > Placement on each part and ticking "apply incremental changes to object placement"

First I placed my cylinder centered on x-y 0-0, then placed each letter at the same x-y location touching the inside edge of the cylinder on top of eachother.
Then I used the placement tool which allowed me to rotate each letter about the z axis at the center of the cylinder.
I did this for each letter, and it ended up being so much easier than before without the rotation going crazy around some unknown axis.

Ended up very nice!
fixed-rotation-1.PNG
fixed-rotation-1.PNG (118.7 KiB) Viewed 306 times
fixed-rotation-2.PNG
fixed-rotation-2.PNG (329.24 KiB) Viewed 306 times