Uploading files to GrabCad

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
will tulyfe

Uploading files to GrabCad

Post by will tulyfe »

I am attempting to upload a FCSTD file to GrabCad and receiving the notification "This model is hidden from GrabCAD Library because it doesn't have any CAD files attached". I have downloaded FreeCad models from GrabCad. The executable file in the model I downloaded was a IGS file. Does this mean I should convert FCSTD to IGS? When I export to IGS I get one fusion rather than the many parts that the model is made of, which is less than ideal. I'm sure some people have uploaded to GrabCad. How did you do so?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Last edited by will tulyfe on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
r.tec

Re: Uploading files to GrabCad

Post by r.tec »

...you have upload either a .stp or .stl-file. Then GrabCAD shows your part. GrabCAD cannot show parts that have their native file extensions because there are too many
of them...

That means you can upload you FC-files normally but additionally you must load in common exchange formats.

Do you know how to do it? Export file, then choose the format.
will tulyfe

Post by will tulyfe »

r.tec wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:41 am ...you have upload either a .stp or .stl-file. Then GrabCAD shows your part. GrabCAD cannot show parts that have their native file extensions because there are too many
of them...

That means you can upload you FC-files normally but additionally you must load in common exchange formats.

Do you know how to do it? Export file, then choose the format.
I appreciate your assistance. I have made a STEP/STP version of the original file. When I open the STEP in FreeCAD, the position of all of the parts containers and objects is reset to zero for some reason. This leads to a model which has its parts scattered willy nilly, defeating the purpose. I want to upload the model as it appears in the FCSTD, but for some reason converting it to STEP resets all object back to the origin?(I think thats whats happening). Converting to IGS just results in one single giant fusion of all of the objects. The only thing I really care about is that people are able to view the model as it appears in the FCSTD file. If you would be so kind, would you like me to attach the file for your viewing? That would make things more clear.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

will tulyfe wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:07 pm When I open the STEP in FreeCAD, the position of all of the parts containers and objects is reset to zero for some reason. This leads to a model which has its parts scattered willy nilly, defeating the purpose.
It would have been relevant to provide your full FreeCAD info, as explained in the forum rules, for which there is a very visible banner at the top, showing IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help.

Assuming you are using one of the 0.17 releases, as far as I know this is a bug that has been fixed in 0.18. 0.18 is still not out yet, but the release is close, and development builds can be downloaded for testing and usage. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre

On Ubuntu and derivatives (Linux Mint), we provide a PPA repository called freecad-daily that pushes almost daily updates built from the source code.
will tulyfe

Post by will tulyfe »

NormandC wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:22 pm
will tulyfe wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:07 pm When I open the STEP in FreeCAD, the position of all of the parts containers and objects is reset to zero for some reason. This leads to a model which has its parts scattered willy nilly, defeating the purpose.
It would have been relevant to provide your full FreeCAD info, as explained in the forum rules, for which there is a very visible banner at the top, showing IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help.

Assuming you are using one of the 0.17 releases, as far as I know this is a bug that has been fixed in 0.18. 0.18 is still not out yet, but the release is close, and development builds can be downloaded for testing and usage. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre

On Ubuntu and derivatives (Linux Mint), we provide a PPA repository called freecad-daily that pushes almost daily updates built from the source code.
Sorry, I think I attached the relevant information to the inital post now. Yes I am using FreeCad v0.17.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks. Last week I helped someone local with the same STEP import issue. Using a 0.18_pre build solved it. They are not installers, you simply decompress the archive (the open source 7-zip archiving program is required) then lauch the FreeCAD executable in the bin folder.
will tulyfe

Post by will tulyfe »

NormandC wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:32 pm Thanks. Last week I helped someone local with the same STEP import issue. Using a 0.18_pre build solved it. They are not installers, you simply decompress the archive (the open source 7-zip archiving program is required) then lauch the FreeCAD executable in the bin folder.
Great. I will do that.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Maybe try the one tagged Conda. It is based on Qt5 and Python3 libraries, while the other one uses Qt4 and Python2, libraries that will be soon deprecated. Few people are using Qt5/Py3 yet so having more people use it to find bugs that might have been missed would be useful. If you have plenty of bandwidth to spare, why not download both! :D
will tulyfe

Post by will tulyfe »

NormandC wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:51 pm Maybe try the one tagged Conda. It is based on Qt5 and Python3 libraries, while the other one uses Qt4 and Python2, libraries that will be soon deprecated. Few people are using Qt5/Py3 yet so having more people use it to find bugs that might have been missed would be useful. If you have plenty of bandwidth to spare, why not download both! :D
Hmm. I downloaded this version (FreeCAD_0.18.15816_Conda_Py3QT5-WinVS2015_x64.7z). I opened the FCSTD in FreeCAD 0.18, then created the STP version. Opening the STP in FreeCAD 0.18 produces the same results as it did in FreeCAD 0.17. I was wrong initially about the origins resetting. I have noticed that while the barrel assembly, magazine, upper receiver, and recoil shield have stayed in their correct positions, the lower receiver, magazine housing, and bolt assembly, have been misplaced. The files are to large to attach.