Offset sketch plane

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pickwick

Offset sketch plane

Post by pickwick »

I'm trying to figure out Part Design lofts, and am having trouble with creating sketches on different parallel planes. I can create my second sketch on the same plane as the first, and then do Part Design/Reorient Sketch; this works but is cumbersome. Several entries in the forum imply that there's a an offset field I can fill in as I create the sketch plane for the second sketch, but I can't find it.

I'm creating the first sketch in XY, then clicking in the blank space of the combo view, to de-select the first sketch. Then I'm going to the toolbar and selecting "Create a New Sketch". But nowhere do I get an option to set an offset for said sketch. What am I missing?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15713 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 93dd00cc3953416bf46fb0a5b7b3c6397df6e4d0
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Offset sketch plane

Post by chrisb »

pickwick wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:23 am Several entries in the forum imply that there's a an offset field
It is the AttachmentOffset in PartDesign, or if you happen to work in Part workbench it is the Placement.

I am quite sure that I have seen this question recently, but I cannot find it, so it's at least slighly different worded. This is highly suspect to be spam, so please show us you are no spammer by telling us more, e.g. upload a small picture of your project.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
As Crisb says, I have no other solution for a new project,
if there is already an object, we have 3 possibilities
- attach a new sketch to the chosen surface, and use "Attachment to move it
-Create new Plan
-use the DatumPlans using a little the same tools, place the new plane following the new coordinates X, Y, Z and plans Tangage, Lacet etc .... (but here only accessible to the pilot of A380)
Attachments
DatumPlan.PNG
DatumPlan.PNG (77.25 KiB) Viewed 13340 times
pickwick

Post by pickwick »

I'm not really working on a part, just playing around trying to learn the features. But here is one of my files, to show this isn't spam.

I figured out a way to do what I want. I was thinking I could use Create a Sketch to sketch on a plane offset from one of the XY/XZ/YZ base planes. But apparently I have to create a datum plane to sketch on first, and then select the plane and then Create a Sketch. This does give me the option of offsetting (in my case) in the Z direction. This worked fine in my sample file and was easier--to me--than using the Reorient Sketch button.
Attachments
Loft4.FCStd
(13.93 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

pickwick wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:40 pm I figured out a way to do what I want. I was thinking I could use Create a Sketch to sketch on a plane offset from one of the XY/XZ/YZ base planes. But apparently I have to create a datum plane to sketch on first, and then select the plane and then Create a Sketch. This does give me the option of offsetting (in my case) in the Z direction.
For sketches that are parallel to a principal plane it is even easier. No datum plane is necessary. Just create your sketch on your chosen principal plane, and *then* offset the sketch in the Property Panel at the lower portion of the Combo panel. Use Attachment >> Attachment >> Position >> Z and set the z-value to whatever offset you like.

The key is offsetting the sketch *after* it is created.

This is essentially the same thing that chrisb and meme2704 said, but perhaps you did not get what they were saying.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

pickwick wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:40 pm But here is one of my files, to show this isn't spam.
Thanks.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
pickwick

Post by pickwick »

For sketches that are parallel to a principal plane it is even easier. No datum plane is necessary. Just create your sketch on your chosen principal plane, and *then* offset the sketch in the Property Panel at the lower portion of the Combo panel. Use Attachment >> Attachment >> Position >> Z and set the z-value to whatever offset you like.
Ah, that helps, thanks. I was trying to change the Z position under Base/Placement/Position rather than Attachment/Attachment/Position, and of course that didn't work.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

The "Base" is referring to the datum plane that the sketch is attached to. That offset can only be changed if you go back to the datum plane itself.

Gene