Head screw doesn't fit very well with hole feature

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Vincent B
Veteran

Head screw doesn't fit very well with hole feature

Post by Vincent B »

I think the hole feature make the head screw not fit very well. Why not allow to adjust manually the parameters when threading is selected?
Here the head CHC screw is sticking out.
Attachments
Capture.png
Capture.png (76.62 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Head screw doesn't fit very well with hole feature

Post by NormandC »

Please do not post suspected bugs here. Read the description for the forum. Are you offering code to fix the issue? No? Then it has no place here.

Read up the bug reporting guidelines in the Help forum please. It is perfectly clear: suspected bugs should be discussed in the Help forum.

EDIT: thanks to the anonymous moderator who moved the topic to the Help forum.
Last edited by NormandC on Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

I have the impression that the standard took in reference to define the correspondence dimensions for screw head milling is the US standard, because whatever the type I test none goes in metric.
Why not talk about it here, is it better to put dust under the carpet?
Would it delay V18 to finish turning around the corner?
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

I'll go back to the answer after checking
In US, right image there is only 2 type of screw head, and we have access to all setting parameters
In "European" we have 5 possibilities but none allow access to the setting, and it's bullshit
Attachments
Cape screw.FCStd
(72.58 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Cape screw.PNG
Cape screw.PNG (35.71 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Maybe there are not standard bolt head/nut dimensions defined in UTS so these were not implemented as fixed values? But maybe it should be that the selection of thread type and size just sets the expected thread values but does not prevent the user from modifying them.
I also noticed something else is strange - If you create a hole without thread profile selected, exit hole creation - all Ok. Enter hole edit, select thread profile, exit edit - Ok. Enter edit, set profile to none - error "Thread size out of range" when trying to accept the changes.
ThreadSize.JPG
ThreadSize.JPG (75.73 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

by selecting ISO sizes, depth and diameter can't be changed. But for the US, its allowed. :roll:
NormandC wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:56 am It is perfectly clear: suspected bugs should be discussed in the Help forum.
Sorry about that.
Attachments
Capture.png
Capture.png (31.13 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
Wild Penguin

Post by Wild Penguin »

Hi,

I'm torn between posting here or opening another thread. I decided to post here since the issue(s) I'm having have already been mentioned in this thread.

Seems "Thread size out of range" is still there, and kind of makes the hole feature useless, unless there already is a profile which fill fit the users need. One can not make custom holes, because if "None" is chosen for profile, this dialog is always displayed and the process can not be continued (one can not exit the dialog). I think this issue was mentioned elsewhere, too, but that post evades my searches currently.

Also, with metric holes the "hole cut" parameters can not be customized. But I've noticed, that if one first chooses a metric hole (and hole cut etc. if desired), and then changes the profile to "none", the parameters are retained. That way the hole could be customized, except that one get's this "Thread size out of range" -error.

Also, it would be nice to have a hexagonal "hole cut" for retaining nuts inside the hole. This can be achieved quite easily manually, though. Jsut a thought for a feature, but of course the current functionality needs to be fixed before new features are implemented...
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

There are 2 questions
-to make a tapped hole: 2 solutions
* used 1 FastenerWb screw that knows perfectly how to make a thread, put it in the hole and make 1 Boolean subtraction
* uses 1 FastenerWb nut and 1 booleen addition (as an insert in 1 molded plastic part), this solution allows to make a true ISO tapping
-to make a hexagonal imprint uses 1 screw body as above (without threading) and Boolean subtraction