Question on drawing dimensioning.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
un1corn

Question on drawing dimensioning.

Post by un1corn »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6712 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: da2d364457257a7a8c6fb2137cea12c45becd71a
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

Hi Guys. In the attached file I wish to put in a centreline for mid length of component as indicated on the drawing page and wish to dimension the 'V' relative to the true centre of the part.
However I can only place CL in centre of plain portion, the component here is simpler to original part where on various versions the 'V' grooves will be in different place depending on overall length.
I have tried to use 'Add a grab point' as shown in tree view but I am unable to see or use it.
I would appreciate any guidance here please.

(Please note that I am still using V0-16 as V0-17 is not stable on my machine.)
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Centrelineplacement.FCStd
(26.49 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Question on drawing dimensioning.

Post by chrisb »

I'm not familiar with DrawingDimensioning, but as you probably know, the future is TechDraw. Please try the 0.18 version, many fixes have made it much more stable than 0.17. If it is not on your computer, you should report the crashes, so they can be fixed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
in the first , I would like to point out to those who have no idea to refrain from commenting, if someone finds it more comfortable to use a certain version, it is his choice .....
My solution (pitiful) is to create a false edge by making a pocket, and the added,
this edge will allow the grip of the center line
I'll point out to the same commentators that this makeshift job not be with Techdraw (and paw ...)
Attachments
Centrelineplacement1.FCStd
(37.08 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
un1corn

Post by un1corn »

Thanks meme2704, I had thought of this but had hoped there was a way using the 'add grab point' I appreciate your input.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

meme2704 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:14 pmif someone finds it more comfortable to use a certain version, it is his choice .....
This very general statement is of course right, but not applicable here, because un1corn uses this version because he found it more stable, not more comfortable. And you have to admit that 0.18 is much more stable than 0.17, isn't it?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
un1corn

Post by un1corn »

I Can now see the grab point, the default setting for it was so low that it was invisible even on my 23" monitor.
I will look at V 0.18 when the stable version is released, it's dark back here in the late middle ages...........
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If i remember correctly grab point feature was one of the ones that didn't work anymore, after parametric dimensions were introduced.