Broken body?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Broken body?

Post by GeneFC »

chrisb wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:53 pm A recompute of AngleBlade fixes the issue here.
Doh! I guess I should follow my own guidelines, for which the second step is to do a recompute. I thought I had done that earlier, but I guess not.
kisolre wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:19 pm I just made several tests. Each is from reloaded file, mark feature for recompute, recompute:
I do not think that shows anything very useful. Nobody knows in advance where the unfinished solution might be. If the whole file rebuild works, don't worry about the others.

Gene
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

GeneFC wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:30 pm I do not think that shows anything very useful. Nobody knows in advance where the unfinished solution might be. If the whole file rebuild works, don't worry about the others.
Shouldn't recompute Body invoke recompute Cylinder which fixes the issue? So why does recompute Body doesn't fix it?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

kisolre wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:52 pm Shouldn't recompute Body invoke recompute Cylinder which fixes the issue? So why does recompute Body doesn't fix it?
As I said we simply do not know where the problem started. It could be something very early in the setup of the new model. One way to test would be to attempt to recreate the entire model completely from scratch. If the error is reproducible *then* it might be a subject for the experts to dig into.

I suspect that most users find weird things at times; I know I do. However, if a retry works then I simply attribute the weirdness to something I did wrong and move on.

Gene
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

At least before digging, design shall be free of any known trap that can weaken it. Eg. all sketches shall be properly constrained. ;)
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

This is more for laughs :) Changing mapping of Cylinder while editing Polar feature or something like that produced this:
Funny FreeCAD.JPG
Funny FreeCAD.JPG (153.85 KiB) Viewed 489 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

kisolre wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:43 pm This is more for laughs :)
As many people discover, there is a large but finite number of ways to do things correctly.

There is an even larger, probably infinite, number of ways to screw up. :lol:

Gene
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

To me it seems that the AngelBlade file in the OP was saved when a Recompute was needed, but before the Recompute actually happened. The Force Recompute macro fixed the model for me, and after that I was able to make a PolarPattern from Pocket002 with Occurrences = 4 about either the Vertical Sketch Axis or the Base Z Axis.

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.18.15860 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 3b708c7f84b0425076b520e1d95627b20fd75fe0
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)