Can't remove basefeature

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kisolre
Veteran

Can't remove basefeature

Post by kisolre »

I was designing three cylindrical parts. Since they are almost identical I created the first one (constrained sketches and all) and then made one copy(duplicate selected object with all dependencies), removed features, changed dimensions from properties panel. From it I created another duplicate and edited it again. I saved the file (Panti_Ok.fcstd is that state from backup) and exported STL. This is how it looks
Panti_Ok.JPG
Panti_Ok.JPG (145.95 KiB) Viewed 945 times
Then I took the actual measurements. I had to adjust the height of the Nut1.Pad003 and sometimes afted that I noticed that Body does not look right. It turned out that it suddenly had Basefeature linked to Pad003.
Panti.JPG
Panti.JPG (152.3 KiB) Viewed 945 times
This is in file Panti.FCStd. I can't explain how that happened. I had a similar problem with clones in another file before https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33448 - they suddenly pointed to wrong body.
The problem is that I can't remove the Basefeature from Body. I try to remove the link from Body to BaseFeature in properties panel but the Basefeature remains under Body. Link from Body.Basefeature is missing but Basefeature is still present even after file recompute and Pad still depends of Sketch and Basefeature. Trying to delete Basefeature after removing the link complains about Pad depending of Basefeature. If I confirm that everything looks fixed. But I tried another thing which I did before - moving features to the end of the body and deleting them there. But here this creates new Basefeature001 linked to Chamfer001 and the Body again has a Basefeature (Basefeature001) thus creating circular dependency.

Another thing that popped out is an error in the undo function with Panti_Ok.FCStd. I mistakenly changed Nut1.Pad003.Sketch004.Constraint2 to 4 instead of the pads length. I tried to undo it but it stayed at 4. I also tried with 5 with the same result.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15969 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 4765b7e2fe6d3609e9fbf3e3eb6648d7af1dd526
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Bulgarian/Bulgaria (bg_BG)

Tried the same with the latest windows build with same results:
Version: 0.18.15991 (Git)
Hash: 10c745175f8a121b594ee6b0612cc487ebf43ba1
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Locale: Bulgarian/Bulgaria (bg_BG)
Attachments
Panti.FCStd
(43.31 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Panti_Ok.FCStd
(39.23 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Can't remove basefeature

Post by NormandC »

kisolre wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:12 pm The problem is that I can't remove the Basefeature from Body. I try to remove the link from Body to BaseFeature in properties panel but the Basefeature remains under Body. Link from Body.Basefeature is missing but Basefeature is still present even after file recompute and Pad still depends of Sketch and Basefeature. Trying to delete Basefeature after removing the link complains about Pad depending of Basefeature. If I confirm that everything looks fixed.
For me, just deleting BaseFeature from the tree works.

Version: 0.18.15997 (Git)
Hash: fcd3fe0a464a4e94897ccfc81c7ef6730a60a5b4
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Locale: French/Canada (fr_CA)
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

Same here, i deleted the base feature, disregarded the warnings and it looks fine so far.

I would have done such using a master Sketch or a Table and then derive the constraint values of the 3 independent bodies all from that . The use of a base feature her is not realy obvious to me.
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

I see you did not have that base feature in the OK file.
So it looks as if it was created accidentially. I played a few minutes, changed all sorts of properties and values..nothing bad happened.
So my questimate: You once where in One body, selected something from the other body chged it and somehow this created the base feature.. So the soultion is to find out the piece of wrong workflow.
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

HarryGeier wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:19 am Same here, i deleted the base feature, disregarded the warnings and it looks fine so far.

I would have done such using a master Sketch or a Table and then derive the constraint values of the 3 independent bodies all from that . The use of a base feature her is not realy obvious to me.
In my post I try to explain that those are three totaly diferent bodies each with its own features, sketches, constraints.... Since they look similar I made one, duplicated and then changed the others. I did not use Basefeature intentionally. The link just randomly appeared. And when I tried to remove it I observed the described behavior.