offset new sketch

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Re: offset new sketch

Post by freedman »

For me preferred as :
It´s easier to distinct, an offset sketch has it´s magic hidden in the properties, whilst a datum plane is visible, can be named and can carry more than one sketch.Even if just being a parallel offset.
Perfectly stated.

I've had a few models blow up because of big changes to early features and without datum planes to keep me organized I would have had to start over. If you name the planes as you go, the model reads like a book. I can read down the tree and know that all features after a datum plane are attached to that plane, until I see the next datum plane. I always append the name: DatumPlane001_rear_screw_face, named this way you can reference the internal naming. As far as I know the only structure we can add to the tree is datum planes.
Last edited by freedman on Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:25 pm I fully agree if more than one sketch or other feature uses the DatumPlane. However, I'm not yet convinced, that a DatumPlane is better than e.g. using an expression; but I'm willing to learn.
I'm not saying that datum planes are always better, but have you taken the time to read the tutorial I linked? In the screenshot shown here, external geometry is created from the datum plane so that a horizontal distance constraint of 7mm can be set to it. Try that using expressions, you'll need a pretty tiresome formula. Here, clearly the datum plane option is easier. As Harry and freedman replied, datum planes are easy to find in the tree and to edit.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Begins to look like discussions such as "What's the best between GUI & CLI tools ?" :lol:
Probably the best is to be aware of both, know their pros & cons, and choose the most appropriate according the situation. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I'm afraid you got me wrong. I'm not at all against using DatumPlanes, I love them and I sure would not want to do the bearing without them. I'm just looking for arguments pro and con for using DatumPlanes for sketches that are offset rather trivially from a principal plane.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jakob

Post by jakob »

Is datumplane a new feature in 0.17?
That trick was what I was needed to demostrate simple freecad features for my beginner course.
The other trick didnt work it crashed.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Yes, as mentioned in the wiki documentation. ;)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jakob wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:11 am The other trick didnt work it crashed.
What other trick?

It would be useful to report it if it's reproducible.
jakob

Post by jakob »

When I did two sketches and changed the properties for one of the sketch.