[Merged] Ticket #3896 - [Feature] Dependency graph panning

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
craig9

[Merged] Ticket #3896 - [Feature] Dependency graph panning

Post by craig9 »

Hi,

I'm finding more and more that I am spending time with the dependency graph as a feedback device, to ensure that I am not creating cross-body links and other problems with my geometry. I've noticed that when I have 6 or 8 bodies or more, each with its own history of features and operations, the screen must be scrolled to see the whole picture.

The wiki page: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Std_DependencyGraph shows (I guess) old screenshots of the dependency graph, so my first suggestion is that we update those pics. I'd be happy to take some screenshots, I'm currently using FreeCAD 0.18 daily on ubuntu 18.10.

Second suggestion is that we update the wiki text where it says "Use the horizontal slider at the bottom of the screen to pan the view sideways." This seems to be incomplete, because after trying various things, I was able to use ctrl and alt along with the mousewheel, to scroll in the X and Y axes.

Third suggestion is to make dependency graph panning/scrolling more comfortable. I suggest that we map the scrolling action of the dependency graph to the panning actions of the 3D and 2D views. In my case, using Gesture Mode, that would mean right-click scrolling. Going back and forth between sketches, 3D views, and the dependency graph, it's very jarring to have to remap my mind to a different scrolling mechanism for each view. What do you think?

Cheers,
Craig
Last edited by Kunda1 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: PR was merged
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Dependency graph panning

Post by chrisb »

craig9 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:03 pm I suggest that we map the scrolling action of the dependency graph to the panning actions of the 3D and 2D views.
+1
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Craig,

Thank you for opening my eyes to the possibility of panning in the dependency graph, I didn't know that one! :oops:

Edit: how about that, my 18,000th post :mrgreen:
craig9

Post by craig9 »

NormandC wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:59 pm Thank you for opening my eyes to the possibility of panning in the dependency graph

Edit: how about that, my 18,000th post :mrgreen:
No problem Normand

Congratulations on reaching 18K posts. Thank you for your efforts. The answers and advice you give are helpful to me and countless other FreeCAD users.

Cheers,
Craig
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the information! This panning mode is an enourmous relief for Mac users, because on this extremely user friendly system the scrollbars disappear if not used for a second or so. The reappear on zooming, so to pan I had to zoom a little bit and the pan.
With gesture mouse model the view can be panned by holding any of Ctrl, Alt, Cmd and move the DepGraph to my liking with two fingers on the trackpad (=replacement for right mouse button).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
craig9

Post by craig9 »

Sadly, on my Ubuntu based system, I cannot get ctrl-right-drag or alt-right-drag to pan the DG view. I guess that's a mac only thing, or a QT on mac only thing.

Hopefully one day we see the DG view emulate the panning action that the other 2D and 3D views use (based on whichever 3D navigation option is selected). But in the meantime, the ctrl or alt mousewheel stuff is useful on Ubuntu at least, and the ctrl-right-drag or alt-right-drag is useful on mac.

Cheers,
Craig
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

craig9 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:03 pm Third suggestion is to make dependency graph panning/scrolling more comfortable. I suggest that we map the scrolling action of the dependency graph to the panning actions of the 3D and 2D views. In my case, using Gesture Mode, that would mean right-click scrolling. Going back and forth between sketches, 3D views, and the dependency graph, it's very jarring to have to remap my mind to a different scrolling mechanism for each view. What do you think?
Who's going to create the Feature Request ticket ? :D ;)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

we will just wait for the wmayers git comit #XXXX :) just joking :)
craig9

Post by craig9 »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:26 am Who's going to create the Feature Request ticket ? :D ;)
https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=3896

issue #3896

I hope that's ok?

Cheers,
Craig
Last edited by craig9 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.