Trying to resolve "cyclic dependency detected"

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
t.lemaitre

Re: Trying to resolve "cyclic dependency detected"

Post by t.lemaitre »

I SOLVED MY PROBLEM! FreeCAD goes back fast without cyclic dependency!

I tried the 0.18 version with my file.
FreeCAD crashed completely (segfault) when I tried to recompute the whole file to see the problems in the log.

So I told me, I really have to remove the error in my file, whose the "the redundant constraints" and the "cyclic dependency detected".
  1. Almost like chrisb recommend, I copied the main group of sketches ("Esquisses hors extérieurs") of my file into a new file to see what's happens.
  2. I've been surprised to find some 3D object in my copy (such as wall): I cogitated my file to be based on sketches, without link to 3D object, but in fact it wasn't true!
  3. After this, I just tried to delete the 3D objects I didn't want to be linked in my sketches. FreeCAD told me the name of the sketches linked to these objects before deletion.
  4. Then I modified my sketches to use only external geometry from other sketches.
I don't really know why, but following this workflow I removed the cyclic dependency.

I also deleted some redundant constraints easy to find. I still have 2, but it works pretty fine and I've no more time to spend on this currently.

For the new readers, read my previous post : to accelerate FreeCAD with cyclic dependency, I deleted the techdraw objects I had in my file.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

t.lemaitre wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:05 pm I also deleted some redundant constraints easy to find. I still have 2, but it works pretty fine and I've no more time to spend on this currently.
You can click on the link like part of the redundancy message to show the involved constraints. It is better to have degrees of freedom > 0 than to have redundant constraints, because the latter can leave the sketch in an unknown state where constraints aren't resolved at all.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
t.lemaitre

Post by t.lemaitre »

Thanks chrisb, but actually I don't know which sketches are with redundant constraints.
To treat this, I should look at every sketches and I had to finish many other things to submit my building permit.
I'll try this later.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Ok, I see. As soon as you have to deal with official institutions things are probably world wide alike. If you recompute in 0.18 the whole file all sketches with redundant constraints are marked with an exclamation mark. So no need to visit each sketch.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.