Rotating out of sketching plane

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TavernSenses

Rotating out of sketching plane

Post by TavernSenses »

In the XY-plane I've sketched a rectangle with a diagonal. Now I want to rotate one of the triangles (two side edges + diagonal edge) along the diagonal, so that the rectangle appears to "fold". This means that that triangle will end up in another plane than the XY-plane. How can I do that?

(Also don't understand how to attach an image. It is supposed to refer to an URL. What URL would that be?)
Last edited by TavernSenses on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Rotating out of sketching plane

Post by chrisb »

Hi TavernSenses, welcome. Your images are not visible here, they point to a file on your local harddrive. In Part workbench you can change the Placement of the sketch, in PartDesign it is AttachmentOffset.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

You cannot rotate elements out of the sketch plane, this is not supported. As chrisb suggested, you need to rotate the whole sketch.

If you could explain what you are after, we could advise you on ways to accomplish it. What do you intend to do with that folded rectangle?
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Hi TavernSenses, and welcome! I think you need two Sketches, each Sketch containing only a triangle and each Sketch on separate Planes, but we need more info from you so we aren't guessing.
TavernSenses

Post by TavernSenses »

bejant wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:58 am Hi TavernSenses, and welcome! I think you need two Sketches, each Sketch containing only a triangle and each Sketch on separate Planes, but we need more info from you so we aren't guessing.
Thx everybody for the swift reply. You indeed understood my intentions, Bejant (sorry for the missing image. I don't know what URL I should refer to).

It seems to me that FreeCAD is very much centered around starting with a 2D image ("sketch"), which is then worked out to intricate level, before being extruded into 3D through procedures like "pad", "pocket" or "loft". I'm used to working with Blender or Sketchup, in which you can drag a vertex freely into 3D space right away. They also both have this "Protractor" tool, for which the described action of rotating a 3-point polygon would be a piece of cake.

However, the constraint feature is something that doesn't exist in Blender or Sketchup, and it's really powerful. That's what really makes me want to move over to FreeCAD. But it looks like I got stuck right away in what is supposed to be a very simple operation. If I placed the two triangles into two separate sketches, in two planes at an angle, would it still be possible to constrain their respective elements on each other (e.g. the length of the edges), as if they were still in the same sketch?
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
I usually have my idea of troll ...
But before, small remark of troll, in my country, the line which joins two summits of a surface is called diagonal we learns this since the nursery school)
and I'm clever like a gnome, I place my rectangle with 2 opposing vertices tangent with one of the axes of the sketch
I make a clone, I use placement to rotate it from the chosen angle
I use the tool "Degrade" Draft Wb (the big blue arrow down) and apply it to the clone, I get 4 Edges, I erase the 2 from below
I select the top two, and create a new skit that will be linked to it
I make these 2 Edges "Referand (big square blue) which makes them purple, and I trace the new segment of the skit in supperposition.
But that energy spent while I would have to do the new direct sketch incline Bonet simply draw the desired triangle
Well, I'm tired, I'm going to visit my friends the gnomes :lol:
Attachments
triangle levé.PNG
triangle levé.PNG (24.65 KiB) Viewed 610 times
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

TavernSenses wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:24 pm Also don't understand how to attach an image.
How to attach an image is explained here:
http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264

After attaching the image, I clicked the Inline button, to include the image somewhere other than the end of this reply:
20190316a.png
20190316a.png (11.33 KiB) Viewed 600 times

Anther way tp place the second Sketch is to use Expressions, which is what I did in the attached file. I gave names to the Constraints in Sketch, then used Expressions to use the values of those named Constraints in Sketch001. Sketch001 is Mapped (attached) to the vertical face of the hypotenuse side of Pad, but Mapping Sketches directly to faces usually makes the model easy to break, so it would be better (although more complicated) to use Expressions to locate Sketch001.

More info regarding Expressions is here:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Expressions

File from which the above image was made:
20190316a.FCStd
(13.12 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.18.16000 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 337c9c936f4c686fd476c5eeb3397d0d09f6b258
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

meme2704 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:55 pm I usually have my idea of troll ...
I'm pretty sure TavernSenses doesn't know what you're talking about there, and without knowing the backstory it doesn't make sense...
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

TavernSenses wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:11 am I don't know what URL I should refer to
To load an image you need to click on the "Attachments" tab below the editing window and the click on "Add files". An input window will open in which you can select the file from your computer to be uploaded. Then click "Place inline" to add the file to your post.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (12.02 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (2.72 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (6.39 KiB) Viewed 595 times

[Edit: Same thing bejant just said.]

Gene
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

bejant wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:13 pm I'm pretty sure TavernSenses doesn't know what you're talking about there, and without knowing the backstory it doesn't make sense...
You make the mistake of thinking he gives a damn about it, he doesn't. It's the very nature of a troll. Next he'll write something in French here, yet again. All of it to taunt us, again, proving my very point that he is indeed a troll, no matter what helpful advice he might happen to provide. Even broken clocks are right two times a day...