Splitting a sketch into two sketches

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TavernSenses

Splitting a sketch into two sketches

Post by TavernSenses »

[*] I have a sketch of which I want a certain part to become a separate sketch. So I basically want to split the sketch into two separate sketches.
[*] Also, afterward the elements of each of the sketches should be able to constrain on the elements of the other sketch, as if they still were in the same sketch.

How can this be done?
meme2704
Veteran

Re: Splitting a sketch into two sketches

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
You make a copy (not a clone!), You open a new sketch, you paste the copy, and you remove what is too much
you re-open the first sketch, and erase what is now in the 2em, the 2 will be perfectly complementary
Last edited by meme2704 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

If you still want to constrain to the "missing" elements from the "other" sketch then a better choice would be to convert the unwanted elements to construction geometry (blue) rather than erasing them.

Gene
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

construction geometry (blue) rather than erasing them.
Yes it's a better solution, but , befor copy the 1st sketch , if you clone, you can't modify ithe clone
TavernSenses

Post by TavernSenses »

GeneFC wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:53 pm If you still want to constrain to the "missing" elements from the "other" sketch then a better choice would be to convert the unwanted elements to construction geometry (blue) rather than erasing them.

Gene
Thx, Gene. Do you mean that if I change non-construction geometry in one sketch, the construction geometry "equivalent" in the other sketch will change accordingly, as if constraint by "=" ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can reference elements from one sketch in another
- using external geometry references
- using Expressions.

Please note the the dependency must be hierarchical, i.e. the dependencies work only in one directions. Cyclic dependencies are reported by FreeCAD as errors.

Perhaps you can create a master sketch, on which both sketches depend.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

TavernSenses wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:37 pm Do you mean that if I change non-construction geometry in one sketch, the construction geometry "equivalent" in the other sketch will change accordingly, as if constraint by "=" ?
No, the sketches would be totally independent. I did not interpret your point #2 to mean that you wanted to later change either sketch. If that is what you want then one of the other responses in this topic would be the correct approach.

Gene
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

So, with the idea of GeneFC, my solution is realistic
Attachments
masterSketch.PNG
masterSketch.PNG (37.46 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
masterSketch.FCStd
(11.96 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Last edited by meme2704 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I think it's time to move from the abstract level to your concrete project. I often see here questions to some modeling details which may be omitted completely by a different modeling approach.

So you can tell us more about your task and possibly provide a file.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.