How to change units in FreeCAD? (forRadius less than 0.01mm)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
oldestfox

Re: How to change units in FreeCAD? (forRadius less than 0.01mm)

Post by oldestfox »

And if an American had actually stepped up to do the work, FreeCAD would already support US/imperial units.
Yes, it is sad. :cry: Believe me when I say that if I knew how to program, I would be in the top 5 developers working on this project.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I hear you. I'm no programmer either, which is why I try to help the FreeCAD project in other ways.
oldestfox

Post by oldestfox »

Maybe in the future when I know how to use FC, I will be able to offer help to the newcomers. Just depends on how well I learn it, myself.

btw... I submitted a feature request for simply increasing precision, *not* implementation of a US/Imperial system.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Direct link: https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/f ... hp?id=1178

Wise choice. You run much higher chances of it being addressed in a timely manner. ;)
danielfalck wrote:We often times work with dimensions/tolerances in the .002mm or smaller range (grinding precision cylindrical features). I'm going to guess that there a lot of folks in the scientific world out there using much smaller units than that. Maybe adding a preferences feature to the dialogs in Sketcher that allows any reasonable amount of precision to the right of the decimal point would be good- if it doesn't cause the constraints engine to crash.
Actually in the sketcher you can already use 4 digit values in the small pop up dialog, even though only 2 digit show in the model view. It's only in Task Panel entry fields for Part Design features that you can't. I would think that it would be a pretty straightforward change.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Here's a link to a .pdf converting inches (by sixteenths) to mm to 2 decimal places in the event someone finds it useful.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/k1ybabd3g654eh ... places.pdf
tkin

Post by tkin »

NormandC wrote:
jmaustpc wrote:As of right now, from a GUI users perspective one can not adjust either the units or the maximum precision (number of decimal places) of the the gui input fields.
This is not entirely true in v0.13......
Does this still hold true for v0.15.... I follow the step by step instructions but never seen any change in the property field?
Last edited by NormandC on Sun May 03, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

tkin wrote:Does this still hold true for v0.15....
No, you can change it if you navigate to Edit > Preferences > General (icon in left pane) > Units (tab in right pane) and change the "Number of Decimals" property. You can also change the Units, it's just above the "Number of Decimals".
voikovi

Post by voikovi »

I also think it will be cool to have options to change units to micrometers (um) and to be able to do simulation on small devices like MEMS.