Transfer sketches from one datum plane to another?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PunyTune

Transfer sketches from one datum plane to another?

Post by PunyTune »

I've drawn a handful of shapes on a datum plane and then realized that I'd be better off to use a PartDesign Thickness as a base for the shapes. My datum plane is referenced to the top of the pad that disappears when I apply Thickness. I can't seem to re-reference or move the datum plane, and I can't seem to transfer my sketches from the original plane to a new one. I know I can recreate my sketches from scratch, but is it possible to move them in a situation like this? It did not work to simply move the sketches below the new datum plane. They're still referenced to the original one.

Version: 0.18.15525 (Git)
Attachments
viewer-3.FCStd
(95.4 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Transfer sketches from one datum plane to another?

Post by openBrain »

Just use the Sketcher MapSketch feature. ;)
Also available in PartDesign WB IIRC.
PunyTune

Post by PunyTune »

Thanks! Easy as Pi.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
There are several basic errors:
DatumPlan is not useful here, it is better to use Sketcher for parallel maps with XYZ using the offset to place them at a desired distance
to place skits related to faces, clik this face and still use Sketcher
a line of construction must always be in the sketch that uses it (in a separate sketch it is useless
One or more holes can be drawn in the same sketch as the volume
Here 's your simplest object
Attachments
viewer-meme.FCStd
(41.11 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
PunyTune

Post by PunyTune »

Thanks. Are you referring to the slot in Sketch006? It does not go through all, so can't be drawn with the mounting holes.

And, I thought I had learned that it was always risky to apply sketches to face planes. At least whenever I do, I run the risk that they'll end up in some screwy other plane. I try to attach features to datum planes instead of pad faces. Is this a misunderstanding?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

You're perfectly right. This way will prevent TopoNaming issue.
This is obviously correct as long as your datum planes are linked to origin planes and not to faces.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Actually you're exactly in the second case where your datum planes are almost useless regarding robustness.
To prevent TomoNaming issue, your datum places should be mapped to origin planes (XY, XZ, YZ), then offset and/or rotated with expressions. ;)
IIRC I recently discussed it in a thread. I'll manage to find it as example.

EDIT : you can read this thread about this particular topic.
Also this other thread talks more generally about robustness
Last edited by openBrain on Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

I saw that you made "Thickness" to the outside,
Body001 is inside, so the holes and the slot do not cross the wall,
more body and body001 are independent, and I suppose, it will be necessary to add them together to have in final only one piece the holes in the common parts will disappear
That's where if you had the inner support in the same body as thickness, and on the back side, you would not have to ask yourself the question
PunyTune

Post by PunyTune »

I am unable to create datum planes that are not XY unless they're related to a face of an object.

If I create a new document and draw a cube, then add a datum plane, I can attach it to any face. But if I try to attach it to an origin plane, whether I choose XY, XZ, or YZ, they all appear in the XY plane. I see that I can go into the Properties and change the Axis, Angle, and Position of one of them. Is this how I should apply features to an object?

Is there a way to select a face for a datum plane to get the desired orientation, but have the datum plane actually reference the origin plane represented by that face?

I don't understand the explanation of using "Align O-N-X", etc.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

What do you mean exactly with "draw a cube"? Is it in Part or PartDesign, do you use a geometric primitive or a padded sketch?

Besides, we usually speak about "drawing" when it comes to create something that can be printed on paper. TechDraw was made for these tasks. What you are talking about is usually referred as "modeling".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.